Need help connecting PC to HDTV

By Rob2931
Dec 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

I am trying to connect my Geforce 8800 GTS to my HDTV. I can do this with S video but I was hoping I could get some sort of HDMI to work also. The manual that came with the Geforce card says its outputs are 'HDCP'. The people at every store I go to try sell me DVI to HDMI cables but they dont fit, wrong number of pins. The pin layout on my card looks like this (going to try draw it):

::|::::::::

which isnt DVI which has a bunch of 3-by-something pins. how can i connect my pc to the tv?
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

3. Rob2931

Rob2931 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 44

Hey man, thanks for the info but the only problem is that I honestly have no idea what I really have here - that page doesnt mention HDCP so I'm lost, idk if I have VGA or DVI or what. If you could translate it into more understandable terms and tell me what cable i need id be grateful
  4. Rob2931

Sorry i was wrong before. the pins actually look like this

___........
    :: :::::::
  5. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

I am not familiar with the connector on the video card but this site has to have the cable you need. I use them when I need a cable or a connector. They have good pictures of the connectors and I'm sure if you call and ask them they can send you exactly what you need. http://tinyurl.com/38u3er

OK HDCP=High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of Digital Rights Management (DRM) developed by Intel Corporation to control digital audio and video content as it travels across Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), or Unified Display Interface (UDI) connections. The specification is proprietary, and creating an implementation of HDCP requires a license. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
  6. Rob2931

OK this is how it is

there are two types of DVI connections, DVI-d and DVI-i (I think)

DVI-d is the Home Media format, whereas DVI-i is a PC format. Rather than convert my DVI-i output to a HDMI, I just stuck a VGA converter on it and im running the signal through VGA, which for my purposes is just as powerful as HDMI

So yeah, I finally found someone at best buy that knew wtf they were talking about
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.