Need help deciding between two routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the one on the right side of that page. I have been very happy with it, no problems. Not dropped connections at all. Although I think the "speedboost" is a gimick.

Never really do the torrent thing. I have mine on day and night. No problems whatsoever. I have 8mg download on cable and just about ONLY use my new laptop now. Download speed is just as fast as being on the desktop.

I have the one on the right of the page. Have had it up and running for about two months 24x7. I use it in conjunction with a cable modem and have six PC's networked on it at home. The only problem that I have had with it is that I have had to re-boot it three times in this period to re-establish connectivity to the Internet. I previously had the 802.11b version and had to re-boot that at least once per week for the same problem, so they seem to have improved that issue with the 802.11g, though it is not perfect.

I'm in the market for a new router too. I've had the WRT54G v3 for about 2 years now. Originally it hated torrents and I'd have to unplug it and plug it back in about once a day otherwise websites would load incredibly slowly and wireless would stop working. Then a firmware update fixed that.... for a while, then I began having problems downloading iso files - everything else would work but anything named iso would only download a few bytes. I called tech support they got me to get another firmware, but this time after flashing my router became a GS model, and it seemed to work ok but I remember there being some issues with it not port fowarding properly.

Finally I got another firmware that fixed everything until a few weeks ago, its failure mode then was a drop in wireless signal, then it came back strong, then it stopped completely. Regular wired still worked at the time, so I thought I'd power cycle it. Upon doing that nothing could get out to the internet but wired and wireless still worked for the home network. After a reset of the router everything worked fine again for a while. Then last week I plugged in another wired computer to it and it wouldn't get an IP. It was an old computer running 2k so I thought maybe something just was weird on it, I did an ipconfig /renew and it worked so I didn't think anything of it. Then 2 days ago Vista needed to reboot for some updates, when it rebooted it didn't have any internet or network connection, so I tried ipconfig /renew again and it didn't work.

I then pulled the power, plugged it back in and suddenly I had a brick, couldn't even connect to the router to get to its setup page. So I left it unplugged overnight, then reset (reset button 30s while unplugged) the next day. It came back to life and I immediately put on the ddwrt firmware (which is awesome btw) and everything was great, wireless worked, wired worked, perfect. I go back to work, after I get back home my wireless is dead, I didn't think too much of it since I was playing around in the new firmware and thought maybe I accidentally disabled it. To clairify wireless did give a usable signal, and I was able to browse the LAN, but I couldn't get to the internet. After checking the settings and some reboots and even a reset it still didn't work and the internet broke for all (wired and wireless).

So my thought is, it is a good router when it works, and I know I outlined a ton of problems with it, but in reality it worked great almost all the time, and this is with heavy torrenting going on nearly 24/7/365 for 2 years.

My suggestion is to see if your crippled memory version (new versions got shafted) has a ddwrt firmware you can use and if so get on that right out of the box, it has a ton more features.

Personally I think just about every router out there has problems, I've been looking on and off since mine started to die and everyone I've looked at has pretty poor reviews on newegg. The Wireless N routers look awesome if you can use it, but I'm scared of paying $150 for a router that is going to drop connections and require reboots every 2 days.

So if anyone has any other suggestions than those 2 listed above I'd like to hear them.

IBN said:

I posted he wrong link to the router WRT54GL wrongly it should have been the WRTGS which is below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124136

EDIT:

SNGX1275 said:
The Wireless N routers look awesome if you can use it, but I'm scared of paying $150 for a router that is going to drop connections and require reboots every 2 days.

So if anyone has any other suggestions than those 2 listed above I'd like to hear them.

I feel the same. I am tempted to go for the N version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124068

Not because of the Wireless N (I still wire all my comps save one for browsing), but maybe because it will endure and stay consistent.

Tipstir's Router Picks

Forget linksys stuff unless you go with CISCO Wireless but those are expensive:

My choices are:

Wireless

1. Dlink DIR-655 4-port WAN and LAN has 10/100/1000Mbps
Also has SteamEngine QOS for VOIP Data, Video, Draft N v2.0, G, B 802.11.
I was going to buy this yesterday as I did see it so cheap by additonal $20 bucks off sticker not a rebate so it makes it really cheap still over hundred.

I've done a lot of research on this model and the next one. If you're going to buy this you need to make sure it saids on the box near the MAC address A2 - blue LED lights. Don't get A1-green LED lights. A2 is newer. Firmware 1.04 gives you 180 connections more for BT. This has 16MB of RAM and 1MB for FLASH, 275Mhz CPU suppose to be quickest you can get for the home with 300Mbps for wireless. 3 ANT for wireless. USB 2.0 for NAS or USB 2.0 HDD. The catch is that is a bit buggy on the software. Might be better with A2 and firmware 1.04 or higher?

2. TRENDnet’s 300Mbps Wireless N-Draft TEW-631BRP The same as above it doesn't have GIG ports but is really quick for BT and you can turn off the wireless with a switch on rear panel. They all need this feature.
This one is cheaper than the DIR-655 though.

3. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 125Mbps for Wireless Turbo/Super G. Makes a good AP though. Still not good for BT, yes you can get third party Tomato and DD-WRT to make it go very fast as wired Rotuer. Overclock the CPU to 250MHz base is 200MHz. Access QOS features also things like that. Just won't be able to go back to Buffalo firmware if you use the Opensource firmware.

Or

If you want to just get a good wired router, there are fast ones out there.

TRENDnet’s TW100-S4W1CA
150Mhz High Performance CPU with QOS features, 1MB Packet Buffer, 8MB of RAM and 1MB of Flash sports 64 Connections for BT still better that most. Really quick up/downloading 10/100 WAN/LAN

I might go with this one I know my Dynex DX-E401 not as quick and I might just have 2MB for RAM.

3Com has some interesting ones but still can't find much info about them. Suppose to have a Ultra Fast and Securied Wired Box dual VPN tunnels but I really don't need all that..

Well hope this helps...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've bought the linksys WRT54GS I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. I'm sure SNGX will look into your recommendations, Tipstir.

Appreciate your help peeps.

Yep because I just switched between ADSL to Cable plus more research wasnt taking me anywhere.

I've picked up the below a while ago at CompUSA they only had two left on the shelf.. I'll see how it works. I really don't need anything fancy just want at least 8MB to 16MB since this one has 8MB good enough and 1MB Packet Buffer. Should be interesting to see how it goes. 5 year protection from Trendnets included not bad.. Let's see how it handles Media Network Streaming, Two High Power Buffalo HP-G54 Router/APs and Buffalo Wireless Bridge Converter and 4 MediaMVPs, and BT.. My prior routers where Linksys popular ones V2 and V3 both died.. Those have 2MB to 4MB of RAM. Replace those with Belkin Wireless Routers eeeK awful and slow... DNS problems errors you name it.. Dynex I had it for a year it's okay but the firmware make it seem a bit touchy. Prior to the firmware update it started to loose connections, just like the Linksys did. Firmware fixed that but then the time kept going back to 2002. Anyway off to test the new toy!

TRENDnet’s TW100-S4W1CA

Test your router With the below I got with Dynex 4.7 for Internet and 4.68 with a Load.. I really don't do internet gaming but the max score is 5.
Anyone of you out there with DIR-655 can you run the test using the link below I would like to know what you get?

http://gamer.ubicom.com/benchmarks/benchmarks.php

TRENDnet’s TW100-S4W1CA - CRAP!
Just returned it today at CompUSA full refund! Good thing it was defective! Otherwise I would have to deal with 25% restocking fee.. ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back