Need help deciding emachines mobo or new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help! I'm a photographer, not a computer expert, but I've replaced enough stuff on my computer that I feel pretty confident replacing parts.

I have had an emachines t2385 for about 5 years now, and I've never had any trouble with it, except for it being extremely slow. I want to ask you experts if I should try to replace the motherboard (what would I need to do to make it run faster?) Or, should I try to build a new computer from scratch? My funds are tight right now, so I'm trying to find a fix to get the best bang for my buck.

It has an intel celeron 2.3 GH processor with an intel 845g chipset.

Can anyone suggest a motherboard that would work with this computer? What would you do?
Thanks,
Amber

Hello, awal1, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, if you want to make it faster then you need a better processor and at least 1gb of ram

If you want to keep that processor then i will need to know what socket it is - celerons have been around for years so it could be a variety of sockets

It may be a socket 478 but i'd need to know for certain

there are 3 things you nee dto replace to make it faster whithout braking the bank, motherboard, CPU and memory... I would personally go for a midrange motherboard, they go for less than 100 dollars (Usually around 70) and a good CPU, also for arround 80 dollars you can get an athlon 64 x2 4200 or faster.. 1 gb of DDR2 800 ram would go for arround 50 dollars right now and you will have a pretty fast machine for about 200 dollars..

aspirulito said:
there are 3 things you nee dto replace to make it faster whithout braking the bank, motherboard, CPU and memory... I would personally go for a midrange motherboard, they go for less than 100 dollars (Usually around 70) and a good CPU, also for arround 80 dollars you can get an athlon 64 x2 4200 or faster.. 1 gb of DDR2 800 ram would go for arround 50 dollars right now and you will have a pretty fast machine for about 200 dollars..

Aspirulito - I've already upgraded the Ram to 2GB, so I guess I'd just need a new motherboard and CPU. I don't know what socket it is, I've been trying to find out. Is there somewhere I can find out that info?

Can you reccomend a good Motherboard and CPU that will work for my system? I'm willing to spend around $300-$350 for both. I've been afraid to purchase anything because I'm not sure if it will work with my computer.

the fan part about replacing the motherboard and CPU in your computer is that you get to choose what you want to put inthere. It will work with your computer, you just need to make sure you buy a motherboard that will fit you computer case, and being an emachines, any micro ATX motherboard will do, the following is a link to a page of those boards (gigabyte),

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+50001314+4027&name=$75+-+$100

just get the one that will fit your budget and a CPU that will fit the board (AM2 socket in this case) and get sure you get also the apropriate memory... if you want to reuse the 2 Gb of memory you already have, then get a motherboard that can use the type of memory you currently have. You might have to choose a different socket if that is the case.

All you need to do to reuse the memory you have is to find out what type of memory it is (most likely is DDR memory) so you are limited to use motherboards that can use that memory.

aspirulito, you saved my day! You answered everything that I had questions about. Now it's time to go shopping :) Thank you

Dont forget that the cheapo e-machine psu will need to go in the bin for a much better one too.

rik is right, make sure your PSU is not made by bestec, if it is you better replace it. Glad I could be of assistance.

I read about that. I've had mine for 5 years now without any trouble, thank goodness! I'm hoping to build a killer machine from scratch next year, but I need to keep my piece of junk running until then! Thanks again

Okay, I have a problem.
I purchased one of the boards that was in the link that Aspirulito posted, but it appears to be about 2 inches too long for my case. What should I do now?

How do I know what will fit? I'm back to the problem that I initially had - what do I buy that will fit in my computer?

not sure......you might be better off getting a new case for it. Here are other threads talking about this model and replacing their motherboard. Not sure if they ever found a micro-ATX motherboard to fit in the case or not.

Okay, I'm thinking that getting a new case will be the best bet for me. Is there anything that I should know about purchasing a new case, or can someone suggest a good brand? I need to be pointed in the right direction! :)
Thanks for everyone's help

I think you just need to get in the motherboard in an angle.. I replace those in e-machines all the time... right now I got 3 e-machines with new boards in that seemed to be a little too big but they fit right if you get them in right. You did get a MICRO atx right? that is what I said in my previous post, where I posted the link.

Yeah, I did get a micro Atx. I ended up buying a case at a local computer store, which ends up being good for me because a clumsy repair guy broke the usb port on the front of my computer last year. The new case has new unbroken usb ports and it came with a power supply, so I won't have to purchase a seperate one to replace in my emachines. I'm about to start putting everything together = wish me luck!

If you're going to spend more than $300, then build a newer system. You may be able to salvage some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back