Need help disabling onboard graphics controller using Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've seen this problem posted here several times. I have purchased an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI card to use instead of the integrated graphics controller in my computer (VIA Tech VT8361/8610 Graphics Controller). The onboard graphics controller CANNOT be disabled in BIOS (according to Biostar tech support). When I go into Device Manager and find it under Display Adapter, right-clicking it only gives me the option to Uninstall. The Device Usage is greyed out, even though I am logged in with Administrator rights.

So, does anyone know how I can DISABLE this onboard graphics controller. Again, using Windows 2000.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Neil

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Would you please take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

What is the make and model of your mobo?

Your mobo manual should tell you how to install a separate graphics card.

Once we know this info we will be able to help you further.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

RE: Help disabling onboard graphics controller

Hi Howard --

I have already done a lot of searching for answers. I have the mobo manual and I wrote to tech support. It's a Biostar M7VKQ, running an AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz processor, 256 Megs of RAM. I have two HD, one 8 GB, the other Western Digital 120 GB. My O/S is Windows 2000 Pro.

The Biostar Tech told me to use Device Manager to disable the onboard graphics controller, which is the advice I have seen posted elsewhere. However, I cannot get this option (Disable), even though I appear to be logged in with Administrator priviledge. The Device Usage option is blanked out. For some other devices, I *do* get the disable option.

What other info/specs would you need to know?

thanks

Here`s what you should do.

Boot into safe mode, and go into you device manager and uninstall your present onboard graphics. Once done, switch off your computer and connect your new graphics card.

Start your computer and go into your bios. Under the integrated peripherals tab look for initial display first, and set it to whatever your graphicscard is. Save and exit bios. Once your computer has booted up install the drivers for your new card.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back