Need help figuring out what is compatible with a K8S-LA motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg33

Hi guys and thank you for viewing my problem, I’m new to this board so I not that sure if I’m posting in the right place, nonetheless thank you for viewing. I have a Compaq Presario SR1520NX and would like to upgrade some parts in the computer (specifically for gaming and other tasks as well.) I’m planning on buying 2 gigs of ram, a new (compatible) graphics card, and a new processor (if necessary.) The problem is I don’t really know what’s compatible with my system (only the ram.) I have a asus K8S-LA (Salmon) motherboard with a agp slot, so I’m aiming to get a new agp graphics card since my current graphics card is a Sis Mirage2 I believe. I have a AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8 GHz processor (socket 754) and wish to upgrade it with a compatible processor if it’s necessary to run the graphics card (bought a Pentium D 3.0ghz and just found out my computer is not compatible with it...). I’m planning on using 1-2gigs of ram since I have 512mb but due to the graphics card I have less because it uses the ram as its memory (or so I was told). I need help on finding out what type of cards, processors, etc. I should get and that are compatible with my system. I have a 250watt power supply if that helps (I plan on upgrading that as well to a 350-450 if needed) and I have windows XP. Thank you for your time and help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Lots of manuals here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228&product=471644&lang=en

Review here: http://www0.epinions.com/Hewlett_Packard_Compaq_Presario_Sr1520nx_Desktop_Pc_PX801AA

I have a asus K8S-LA (Salmon) motherboard
Actually I think you're better off leaving it stock standard, other wise the front label (on the box) won't be right.
And anyone who downloads drivers for it one day, won't work.

For gaming, it is better to update the entire computer box, to PCI-Express capabilities, and then ofcourse there's ram, and all the rest.

But you can recover some funds by selling this computer stock standard.

so you suggest to leave the stock standard cpu? because the motherboard I listed is the one the computer came with. I don't want to perchase a new computer though, I just want to upgrade the current one I have and need reccomendations on what graphics cards and cpus that work on my computer and that are good for gaming.

I would say get

ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP
(with this card you gotta upgrade your power supply tho)
Or leave the processor and just geth the ATI card

AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+

Maximum approved processor

* Athlon64 3700+
* AMD Athlon64 3400+

AGP is really very old technology
I stand by my post (1 year ago !) and say sell it stock standard, and update the whole computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back