Need Help Fixing Internet Speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_eric

It always seem that my internet has always had a little bit of lag before it would respond and go to the next page of a website for example and i would like to fix that lag that i get... Right now i'm using Telus High Speed DSL Internet with a 2wire 2700HG-E Gateway Modem this is connected to a phone jack by a splitter that lets me connect my phone into the same phone jack

-My first question is if my modem is giving me the trouble if so what would you suggest i upgrade to?

-Second of all my Modem connects to my computer through the local area connection on my mother board (NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller) would it be beneficial to go out and buy a networking card or is this not an issue?

-If my hardware isn't the cause of the problem could someone give me some steps to see what other issues could be causing the lag?

-My computer is free of virus and spyware as i've just done a previous scan so i've ruled that out

Thanks.

You can see if there's an updated driver for the networking controller or try another DSL modem. Is your system fully updated unsing Windows Update? Have you run a cleaner like CCleaner or Glarysoft's free utilities?

what other DSL modems would you suggest... and my system is fully up to date and yes i just ran CCleaner today

>> Splitter on phone line

you have an ADSL connection which is limited to 756kbs.
the question is how much of it do you actually get?
Try one of the link bandwidth tests to see how well/poorly you connection is:
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If you're getting 90-95% of the maximum, then there's just nothing to push beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back