Need help formating

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i was in need of format cause i deleted something on my pc and didnt realize it, but now that i know how to format my computer i cant find the cd... so is there any way to format my hard drive without that cd?its windows vista homePremeum 32-bit, plz toss any ideas u may have at me

p.s. i dont have a flash drive atm if one is needed

If you have a computer made by a big manufacturer, like HP, Dell, Acer etc.. You can use the System Restore/Recovery option outside of Windows. They don't actually ship the CDs anymore; rather, the CD is contained on your hard drive.

When you first turn on your computer, you'll see the BIOS screen with your manufacturer's logo on it (or some technical mumbo jumbo). To access your manufacturer's system recovery option, you usually tap a certain key (it usually says what key to press on the screen). Keep in mind this may delete all of your data, as it is will reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. Some manufacturers also include a repair or backup option.

Again, this is done outside of Windows.. You'll see this screen before you see the Windows logo appear when you first boot your computer. It's just a matter of tapping the right key.

If you have an HP, Dell, IBM or Gateway it is probably F11.
If you have a Sony, it is probably F8
Anything else will probably be F8, F10 or F11.

Dell, Alienware, HP, Compaq, eMachines, IBM Lenovo, and Gateway will send you the OS disk set for VISTA if you can verify you are the owner of the computer. They will not give you trouble about replacing those install CD's. Sony, Systemax, and a few others are more difficult. Some will charge you somewhere between $27 and $55 if you request the disks after the computer is out of warranty... but those charges include Federal Express shipment...
You may have similar luck with other manufacturers.... The only ones that have consistently been a problem are Sony, and those sold on the Shopping Network.

ok iv tryed all the f1-f12 keys individually restart after restart, at the bios screen and the boot menu(optional) screen there both different, and nothing and iv looked all thru the boot menu and the system menu pages and nothing i cant find anything, any other ideas?

It would appear that your Acer may have a different key to press.

A quick search on Google reveals that some Acers are: ALT and F10 simultaneously

Try searching for the model number of your computer and "system recovery" to find other possible combination, in case that doesn't work for you. Unfortunately, manufacturers have not worked together at all to create a standard for this kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back