Need Help have the blue screen error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell with windows XP Home Edition. Got this error message with this code
Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805A360E, 0xF894F1E4, 0xF8A4EEE0)

At the time I got this I was just browsing the web like normal. Then I went to click on my AOL to open and got this message. I've been looking for some help the last 2 days and can't figure it out. I've done a restore the PC to a week ago. seemed to work but then to shut down and reboot get that blue screen again. I've ran disk clean up. I've tried searching for this code but can't find anything.

Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.

When you did the Restore a week ago, did you download and install all the latest drivers from the Dell support site for that service tag? Or did you use the disc set that came with the Dell?

For us to be helpful, we will need your Dell brand and model, and service tag, as well as computer age, memory installed, and OS.

Why did you find it necessary to perform a restore of the computer?

The code you posted is merely locations of memory dumps, for the most part, caused by whatever went bad.

AOL is not a useful internet connect for repairs.

PC info

I believe we got this back in 2002. Since when I looke at the specs it says 2002.

Dell Dimension 3000

Window XP Home Edition - version 5.1.2600
Intel (R)
Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz
512 MB of RAM

Service tag - on the back of it is B1V4S71

I just restored it today back to a week ago (7-16-07) Since at that point I know it was fine and didn't have this blue screen. I have been trying to figure this out for the last 2 days and was frustrated so I figured I would try the restore and see if that would cure it but it hasn't. I've gone to the dell website and I updated the drivers they had for upgrading.

How can I figure out what went bad???

Hope I gave you all the specs you need.

Windows XP is quite stable these days so if you get blue screen errors more than once in a while your Windows XP installation is either in a really bad state (because of really nasty virus, bad drivers etc) or there is a hardware problem. The most common causes of hardware problem on desktop computers are either a broken hard drive or possibly a broken memory module. Try running a hard disk test and and a memory test. For hard disk testing you can either use chkdsk in Windows XP (run 'chkdsk /R' in a command window) or download a disk testing tool from the hard disk manufacturer's site). For memory testing I recommend Memtest86+ (download bootable CD iso image from http://www.memtest.org/ and burn it to a CD).

/kollo23

Edit: Corrected the URL to point to Memtest86+ and not the original Memtest

Blue screen error

I was able to eliminate the blue-screen error on a Dell 8400 running Windows XP (Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805A360E, etc.) by bypassing the system.ini file on startup.

Press "Start", select "run", type "msconfig", select "ok", check "Selective Startup" and UNCHECK "Process system.ini", select "ok", then restart computer. Since system.ini doesn't appear to be necessary for the programs I use, I'm keeping this configuration.

I'd check for spyware. I recommend the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then try a chkdsk. Failing that, try an XP repair installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back