Need help in configuring my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam

Hi

I changed my PC case, motherboard, installed another dvd drive and Hard disc. I installed windows XP onto one of the HD which is a SATA drive ( connected to onto SATA 1) and connected one dvd drive (primary) onto IDE connector 1, however when I connect the 2nd HD via IDE connector 2, I keep getting this error message "NTLDR is missing". When I installed both the DVD drives on another MB, the PC did not start.

I don't think my configeration is correct and I would like to find out the correct configeration please (i.e which IDE connectors 1 or 2 to use for dvd drives and HD drive and SATA connectors 1 or 0) and which one should be master and slave), BIOS settings and set up please and how to deal with this error message.

The specs are:

Gigabyte GA-81PE1000-G motherboard
P4 3.2, 800FSB CPU
Corsair TWINX 3200 C2PT memory
ATI Radeon X700 PRO 256MB AGP X8
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB SATA - Windows XP installed
Hitachi Deskstar 80GB IDE - ? (error: NTLDR is missing)
Pioneer DV108 dvd drive - currently installed as master in IDE 1
Pioneer DV110 dvd drive - ?
Sony Floppy Disc Drive

Many Thanks.

Check the boot order in the BIOS and make sure it's set to SATA before the IDE channels.

check

after you get your drive squared away you need to check to see if your second drive is set to slave or cs.

The boot order in CMOS/BIOS was set to Floopy/Hard Disc/CD Rom, I tried to set the IDE channels in the standard CMOS set-up screen but was unable to. The only options available are AUTO/MANUAL/NONE. If I choose manual, I can't change the boot order or change the IDE channels i.e. move the IDE HD after the SATA drive) Somehow the SATA drive which contains the Operating system always ends up after the blank IDE HD drive in channel 2 or 3.

I regret buying the IDE drive now as Windows XP doesn't start with this HD installed. I swapped the DVD drive and IDE HD connectors around from IDE 1 & 2, set the DVD drive to master and IDE drive to slave, connected the SATA drive to SATA 1 and swapped it around to SATA 0 and it still ends up at the bottom after the IDE drive and I get the NTLDR is missing error message.

try removing the IDE HD from the boot sequence all together, if there's no OS on there then there's no need for it to be in the boot sequence.

Hi, I have removed the IDE HD from the BIOS IDE channel (changed from AUTO to NONE) and changed the boot sequence to
HARD DISC/CD ROM/FLOPPY.

It seems o.k now as during start-up I get the 2 dvd drives master & slave followed by the SATA HD and the IDE HD does not appear on the IDE detection screen durring start-up. The IDE HD is available once I get into My Computer. After changing the boot sequence to the above, the XP logo appears on the screen much quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back