Need help making memory decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutantToad

Hey all,
I was browsing through many memory/RAM websites, and I decided to go with OCZ DDR Platinum memory. But I don't know what to get! It's a choice between low latency (PC-3200, 2-2-2-5, 400MHz) or high clock speed (PC-5000, 3-4-4-10, 625MHz.) The latency of the PC-5000 is near double that of the PC-3200, but the speed of the PC-5000 is a good 225MHz higher than the PC-3200.
The motherboard that I'll be using is the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR. I was also wondering if that would make any difference. (The PC-5000 "has been designed for ultra-high speed operation on DFI nF4 motherboards.")

~Toad

Look at this. Your motherboard doesn't support the faster speed memory. You will have to go with the PC 3200, DDR400.

As Olefarte said, you can't use DDR-II memory on your motherboard but you can use any speed of DDR-I memory, even above PC3200. Do you intend to overclock or not ? If not then there's no need to get anything above PC3200 in the first place.

In that case you're much better off with the PC3200 because it will save you money, has the lower latency and 400MHz is the highest speed that your motherboard can support so the 625MHz memory will only operate with a data throughput of 400MHz money while costing you more PLUS with higher latency. It'd make no sense whatsoever to go for the PC5000, buy PC3200.

Well if you're into overclocking then that memory seems like a good choice. Many motherboards can lower the memory speed while raising the HT link making sure your memory still runs at the proper speed but you won't have the same performance increase as when you keep raising the memory speed at the same time.

Make sure your motherboard can provide 2.85 volts to the memory DIMMS as that is what your selected memory needs. Most vanilla motherboards top out at 2.8 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back