TechSpot

Need help! Modem drivers-PCTel HSP 56

By jlou
Sep 15, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My system crashed and Win 2000 Professional was put on to replace Win 98. My mainboard has a modem built in, HSP 56, by PCTel. The new system won't/can't find the modem. The mainboard's drivers are "not supported by Window 2000". I've tried to find the correct updated drivers with no luck.

P.S. I am not a computer expert. I barely know how to use the ADD/Remove Hardware Wizard that pops up. How do I install/unzip the new drivers so Win 2000 recognizes them?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Windows 2000 is VERY picky about certain PCtel chipsets. The drivers do work though.

Try these: http://conexant.com/support/pctel_driverdownload.jsp

You will have to manually install them through device manager, which is located in Start/ Settings/ Control Panel/ System/ Hardware/ Device Manager

To unzip the drivers, you will need a program like Winzip or Winrar (www.winzip.com) or (www.rarsoft.com)

I would go into more detail, but I've got to get going! Hope that helps a little.

3. jlou

jlou TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. If you don't see any further replies, it means all went well.

4. prashidi

prashidi TS Rookie Posts: 89

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.