Need help!! No video activity at all during bootup after clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

6swans

OK, I took my brothers HD out and installed in my machine and did a clean install of xp home and everything was good. I took it out and installed it in his HP P3,500mgh,256ram. The power supply starts the cooling fans run, the HD spins but its like there is no video attached. Its onboard video so I took my good pci card and installed in the HP and got the same results. Like there is no video. It doesnt even show the bios or startup screen to get into setup. No beep codes at all either. Any help would be appreciated. p.s. put HD and video card back in my machine and everything still good.

video

when you made the installation did you make sure you discharged you static electricity ???a friend fried his 6800 gt like this

p.s. put HD and video card back in my machine and everything still good.

well duhhh... since windows was installed on your machine and the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) is specific for the hardware on your machine, of course it works.

where did you get the goofball idea to install XP on his hard drive in your machine? unless your machine is identical to your borthers it aint gonna boot on his machine after being installed on yours.

Ummm, sorry to dissapoint you but it IS possible to install a HD with XP from one machine to another, I've done it before. The OS will recognise the hardware and settings. This machine must have other issues. Thanks anyway.

Ummm, sorry to dissapoint you but it IS possible to install a HD with XP from one machine to another

Yes it is possible as long as BOTH machines have the same kind of chipset. What ISNT possible is installing Windows on a VIA, Nforce, or SIS chipset then moving the hard drive to an intel chipset.

This machine must have other issues.

well feel free to keep looking till you find the other "issues" since your so knowledgeable.

Good Luck

P.S. whne you finally give up trying to find the other issues, you can do a repair install of XP on your brothers machine. ( that is, it should work as long as his hardware is comaitable with XP.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back