TechSpot

Need help on a graphics card

By 123456789
Jan 13, 2006
  1. Okay so I want a ATI radeon x700.However, it says that "DVD playback requires DVD drive." Does that mean that if I WANT to have a DVD playback I have to have a DVD drive or does it mean I have to have a DVD drive. The problem is I do not have a DVD drive. Can I still get it?

2. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom TS Rookie Posts: 256

yes, you can still use the X700 without a DVD-ROM. so any regular CD-ROM games will work just fine but you won't be able to watch a DVD on your computer

3. SCHUMIinSA

SCHUMIinSA TS Rookie Posts: 162

Yeah what the above poster said is correct.

Just one question. Why are you getting a X700? As far as I know a GeForce 6600GT would be cheaper and at the same time work better.

4. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,198

Well, X700's *are* cheaper than 6600GT's if PCI-E, but not by much (about 20-30 bucks more)... but I agree with the previous poster. You'd be MUCH better off scraping up the remaining 20-30 bucks and getting a 6600GT... or even better an X800GT with 256-bit memory at the same price as 6600GT's.

5. 123456789

123456789 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I want to get this card because it's cheap. Also the reviews I have read say this is better than a 6600. That's why. Also, thank you for your replies.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.