Need help on building a new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexgoh

Hey all, i would like to build a new gaming computer as my current one is pretty sucky :p I would like some expert advice from these forums so please do enlighten me. What i have in mind now is the E6850 processor. I've read quite abit about it and i heard it really is worth the price. My budget's around 2.5k SGD. That's about 1.6 - 1.7 k USD. If possible, please do justify why you would recommend me the mobo / gfx as I really am very confused about what to pick. There's just too many and I really have no clear idea what is best. So please do help me. Thanks for the time for reading and helping. Oh and I'm not too concerned about OCing at the moment as I've never done that before. Haha. Thanks alot of the help. Appreciate it.

I have just gotten the ASUS P5N-E SLI mobo with a Q 6600 Core 2 Quadcore. I can recommend the mobo for sure. It's very stable, has all the overclocking you would want, and supports the E6850. I am going to pick up an E6850 too. The E6750 is a very good deal also. $100 less than the 6850. I can also recommend the EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb GPU. It has good performance and is also strong, stable, and cool. Good Luck.

Find out what's the most intensive software you want to run graphics wise and pick a card that can handle it at an acceptable frame rate. Go to tomshardware.com and read their graphics cards reviews.

For the gfx, I'm currently considering on getting an EVGA Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb. Heard it runs cool and stable. Im much more concerned on the motherboard though. I'm really lost as there's so many models.

alexgoh said:
For the gfx, I'm currently considering on getting an EVGA Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb. Heard it runs cool and stable. Im much more concerned on the motherboard though. I'm really lost as there's so many models.
Just so you know the 8800GTS 320 may not be the only choice:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43412&page=22

Before:
8800 GTS (320/640MB): 90nm G80 with 96 scalar processors enabled.
8800 GTX/Ultra 768MB: 90nm G80 with 128 scalar processors enabled.

Now:
8800 GT (256/512MB): new 65nm G92 GPU with x scalar processors enabled.
8800 GTS (320/640MB) -presumably old stocks-: same as before.
"new" 8800 GTS 640MB: same as before, but with 112 scalar processors enabled on the same 90nm G80

Why would you buy an intel motherboard that has NO OC abilities, get an ABIT P35 and buy a non-BFG PSU, they are just a name.

OK the mobo was a dumb choice. This would be a much better choice. Also, this PSU is better since the reviews I have read of the BFG PSU show it to have excessive ripple on the +12V rails. So your new total is about $980, which is still pretty good.

Haha. Thanks alot Rage. I also see alot of people recommending such boards. Oh by the way, my friend down at the pc centre told me the Striker was getting outdated. Instead I should look at the new ASUS X38 Chipset boards. Also, I'm wondering now, is 1333 FSB of the E6850 really THAT good? Or should I go Core 2 Quad? I now have doubts. Hope you guys can enlighten me. Thanks alot too for putting time into your replies and help.

New and upcoming games will\do take advantage of multiple cores, so the Quad is a better choice. Also, X38 motherboards are difficult to find and even if you do find any, they're very expensive (about $285). So I would advise against it now. Later, when they drop in price and are easily available, get one if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back