Need Help on FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Hello,

My husband currently plays Americas Army and is having a low FPS. Seeing I dont know what any of this means I am actually speaking in a foreign language. His computer is a Soyo Dragonlight 2, 2.4 gig intel processor, 1.5 gigs of PC3200, DDR Ram, Pyan 7600 GS 512 Video Card

Can anyone please offer some suggestions so he will leave me alone about his FPS!!

Thank you

A wife with a pestering husband

FPS = Frames Per Second (Higher is better, obviously)
You want at least 40 or 50 for decent playability.
Sounds like your graphics card should be able to support it, but the latest version of the game (2.8) lists a 2.4 ghz processor as the minimum requirement for the game to run. This may be what's causing it.

HeHe

Be a good wife and buy him a nice Alienware Area 51 series computer. It will certainly make him stop pestering you :D Infact you probably wouldnt see much of him anymore.....

JimShady23 said:
Be a good wife and buy him a nice Alienware Area 51 series computer. It will certainly make him stop pestering you :D Infact you probably wouldnt see much of him anymore.....
lol.. graphics card + PSU upgrade is easier on the family budget :D

nah.. seriously, he just means that the game's a bit on the slow side. Like watching a dvd movie and hitting the slow or pause button for a bit..

You can get him to read the troubleshooting faq for games below to try and find the cause...

Ok, so could his motherboard, The Soyo not support the video card and only run at 1.5 volts on the AGP slot? (Still dont know what I am saying here)? He put in a 5400 video card on his and the FPS still did not change. But he is not sure what the volts is on that one.

And what the heck do I care about on women on sex cams?

Its spam, ignore it until a moderator deletes it. Spam (if you don't know) is when someone (sometimes a program) posts random stuff that has nothing to do with the subject.

AGP is a kind of slot you plug graphics cards into. Most modern graphics cards run off the PCI express x16 slot. You need find out what kind of slot your motherboard has if you want to upgrade your graphics card.

Is your processor dual core or not?

"AGP is a kind of slot you plug graphics cards into. Most modern graphics cards run off the PCI express x16 slot. You need find out what kind of slot your motherboard has if you want to upgrade your graphics card"

I wouldn't say this is absolutely correct yet. Most systems out there are still AGP equipped. I built my first PCI express system only a month ago. This Soyo board is AGP not PCI-E. A better AGP Graphics card is inorder for this system

Compared to her alternative of a PCI card, that is true. However, the best cards avaliable now are for the pci express x16 slot. Can someone delete the spam please?

From what I am told it does not have a PCI Express slot. This is not a dual core processor board.

Dang, I feel like I am sounding smart huh? (shhhh... I have him on the phone telling me what to put) haha

Maybe he can just upgrade the processor, or get faster RAM, etc. If the computer has a Celeron processor, then just a simple CPU upgrade will do the job.

What kind of CPU does it have? A Celeron, Celeron D or Pentium 4 processor?

Regards :wave:

BTW, Welcome to Techspot!! :)

thats part of the problem. The P4 single core is a little outdated at this point. You may want to upgrade the CPU as well as get a better GPU.

No, the CPU is fine for now, get a good AGP card ike a 7600Gs (100$) or a 7800GS(200$) or a 6800GS idk lol, there are a lot of options.

F1N3ST said:
No, the CPU is fine for now, get a good AGP card ike a 7600Gs (100$) or a 7800GS(200$) or a 6800GS idk lol, there are a lot of options.

We already put in a 7600Gs

Hi Tricia,
The problem is- your husband's system really needs a lot of things!

The 7600 videocard, while a decent 3d card, is a budget/entry level card. AGP is slowly being phased-out, and while there are several upgraded AGP cards you can buy, there are many more PCI-Express cards and they are cheaper.

The Pentium 4 processor is also very dated and, depending on memory speed/performance and motherboard, can be slower than heck for gaming. As you said it's a Soyo and Dragonlight series, this means it's very likely a VIA chipset and only supports single-channel memory (both bad for Pentium 4's).

If your husband wants to upgrade his system, he may want to consider a sizeable upgrade. It will all depend on the budget. How much budget does he want to dedicate to this venture?

Well all you smart people we finally found out what the problem was. He thought he had a Pentium 4 when in fact he had a celeron. Therefore we upgraded the processor and it fixed the FPS problem. Thank you all for the help and explanation of things I have no clue on.

Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back