Need help on memory controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

usrDenied

i have a 512mb memory stick but my memory controller is resticting it to only 192mb, it really annoys me. Please help!

Welcome to Techspot mr. user denied

we need to kno your system specs:
memory type (SDRAM, DDR, brand, speed, etc..)
Motherboard
OS and wahtever else you know about your computer.

ok, i will i actually remember a few, i got sdram. cpu AMDK6 3D processor,...the rest i will post tomorrow. Hope this helps. Thank you.

I seem to remember that Super Socket-7 motherboards were limited to 256MB per memory slot. Maybe you also have an onboard VGA card which eats up about 64MB of the "available" 256MB which is why it only shows 192MB.

I had one of those on my old old old PC (might've been an IBM).

I am pretty sure (as Didou stated) that your CPU doesn't support anything over 256MB of memory. Most motherboards for the K6 dont even support 256mb.

Sorry about the bad news

thanks, well PC wizard 2006 tells me that my memory controller is restricted to 256mb per slot, i guess my question now is CAN i alter my memory controller? If the answer is yes HOW? well i think if i can alter my settings without actually replacing the motherboard, i would be very happy.:) Thanks to Truflip and Didou

I don't think so.. you'd have to change your CPU, not just your motherboard

maybe Didou can confirm this?

If it was easy to remove the limitation then why would the memory controller be limited to 256MB in the first place?

It's a hardware limitation causing the system not to register all the memory chips on the memory modules when there are more then 8/16 chips.

I remember a while ago Buffalo came out with something called Virtual Bank Memory that was supposed to be a workaround to this problem but I don't think it's still available.

-it has full compatibility for all Socket 7 boards from I think the Pentium90 to the AMDK6-3d 550; it has 3 DIMM slots onboard but can only hold 384MB Total of 128MD chips
some boards had 4 slots. ea holding 128MB chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back