Need help on Symantec Antivirus !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

novkhan

Goodday!

Hi i bought a Symantec Antivirus Installation CD yesterday!

I went home, installed the prog and i started scanning and blah, blah...

After that i realise that my Bro have played with the Date & Time settings.

The date i installed the Antivirus Softwware was in the Year 2000.

I changed the Date back to 2004 and rebooted my PC.

Than i realise that my Antivirus is no longer working as it Expires in 2001.

Do i have to But another Antivirus???

My friend did tell me that this prob can be solved using REGEDIT, is taht true?

Is there any kind soul out there that can help me out, coz buying a Antivirus CD is defintely not cheap!

No worries man. Symantec is easily tricked. Just completely uninstall what you just installed (your Antivirus 2004). Then Restart.

Once restarted Install your recently bought software again, and then update it using its liveupdate.

All should be well again.

IF IT IS NOT, then yes you can go through regedit and search for the keys and remove them that way, but I don't believe that is necessary in this case. If what I outlined above does not work, post back and I or someone else can hopefully guide you through the registry editing.

If you don't want to go through registery editing, call up symantec and tell them what happened. But I'll warn you they will very likely seriously question this playing with the date thing you say your bro did.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
No worries man. Symantec is easily tricked. Just completely uninstall what you just installed (your Antivirus 2004). Then Restart.

Once restarted Install your recently bought software again, and then update it using its liveupdate.

All should be well again.

IF IT IS NOT, then yes you can go through regedit and search for the keys and remove them that way, but I don't believe that is necessary in this case. If what I outlined above does not work, post back and I or someone else can hopefully guide you through the registry editing.

If you don't want to go through registery editing, call up symantec and tell them what happened. But I'll warn you they will very likely seriously question this playing with the date thing you say your bro did.

Yah, most likely to be calling Symantec .....

By the way I have tried your first step, uninstall and install again.
But still it says "expired in year 2001"

Step 2 of yours, i went to regedit and did a search for "Symantec"!

There were so many Symantec registry found!
And i dun noe which to delete?

do you noe the exact path!

Go to Symantec's website and look for their uninstall programs. They have different uninstallers for different versions. It is an enormously time-consuming process, which will give you page upon page of instructions to follow, programs to run etc.
(One of the reasons that I will never use anything from Symantec/Norton).

If you have XP, try a rollback to before you first installed NAV.
Check /reset the date-settings, slap your brother big-time and tell him to keep his dirty mitts of your PC. Try installing again.

If that still fails, surf to www.grisoft.com and get the free AVG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back