Need help on which cpu to buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, have had a quick scan through this forum and couldn't find my question answered anywhere so thought i would see what responses i get.

Basically am getting a new pc but i am having problems deciding which cpu to get. I am torn between getting Athlon64x2 dual core cpu or sticking with a P4. I am also getting a GeForce 7800GT gpu and want to know which cpu is best for gaming really cos thats pretty much all i do. I have heard that the Athlon64x2 are mainly for running multiple programs and thus not that good for playing games but then again i have heard that it is good for games?? *confused* I am also running a P4 cpu atm so know that it is a good cpu but generally speaking AMD cpu's tend to be much better in multimedia apps inc games.

If someone could clear this up for me it be would muchly appreciated as it is causing me no end of headaches trying to decide, maybe if someone has a Athlon64x2 cpu could post telling me how good it is at running games that would be great :)

Thanks alot and look forward to some interesting posts.

The 7800GT is a great card for gaming. The X2 processor is good at gaming, but your better of with an Athlon 64. I would recomend a 3700. Good Luck!

thanks alot for that website with the comparisons pure awesome material that :)

had a look and seems that the athlon64x2 is one of the best cpu's available and would seem to me to be one of the best all rounder for everything really. Having checked the game scores Athlon64x2 beats the P4's i was looking into (ie. my price range of P4's) but falls short on the Athlon64's, i am 70%-30% swayed in favour of the Athlon64x2 cpu.

would still like to hear from somone who has a Athlon64x2 cpu installed and want to know what it is like in real life games, not just benchmarks.

thanks again for the very quick responses from the ppl that have responded soo far :)

the new Athlon64x2 dual core cpus are definitly the best buy for the money and for the quality. intel cpu with similar power are 200$+ more. The 4400 is probably the best buy for the money, but it is around 450$. if i had the money i would get rid of my p4 3.2 ghz for the 4400 or 4800 in a second

Thanks Twite for the info mate, as i have a p4 atm and it does seem that the 4400 athlon64x2 is way better in everything.

Right now the Opteron 165 is the enthusiasts choice. Not because is anything speacial at stock speed, but because at 300 HTT it's faster than anything stock. Some do that at stock voltage.

Don't listen to me, I'm in the habit of voiding warentys. :rolleyes:

Mirob said:
Right now the Opteron 165 is the enthusiasts choice. Not because is anything speacial at stock speed, but because at 300 HTT it's faster than anything stock. Some do that at stock voltage.

Don't listen to me, I'm in the habit of voiding warentys. :rolleyes:

lol thanks for the advice, i actually read somewhere recently that the opterons were very good, but am a little unsure of them still.

thanks Mirob very interesting read that article about the Opteron and certainly is what i am looking for as mainly is going to be used for games and also cheaper as well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back