Need help reinstalling Windows/backing up files

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so basically this was all my fault, I was repartitioning my harddrive using qtparted, and when I was finished I skipped ScanDisk that comes up when I restart Windows XP. The next time I restarted my computer, it gets to the Windows XP loading screen, and then restarts, and goes through the whole thing again.

I have access to: a Knoppix Live Boot CD and my Toshiba Applications Disk. I have a Toshiba laptop. I would try a nondestructive reinstall of Windows, but, as far as I can tell, the only option the Toshiba Disk gives me is to format and reinstall (can someone confirm this)?

My first partition is my Windows partition, and I have a separate partition for music and video. Another question I have is this: if I do format my hard drive, will it format both of my partitions, or only the C:/?

Basically, I've accepted that I'll probably have to reinstall Windows, but I want to minimize my data loss as much as possible. Even if you can't tell me what to do with Windows, any suggestions on backing up my info would be appreciated.

I have access to: a Knoppix Live Boot CD and my Toshiba Applications Disk. I have a Toshiba laptop. I would try a nondestructive reinstall of Windows, but, as far as I can tell, the only option the Toshiba Disk gives me is to format and reinstall (can someone confirm this)?

recovery disks usually only offer the option of a complete format and reinstall.

My first partition is my Windows partition, and I have a separate partition for music and video. Another question I have is this: if I do format my hard drive, will it format both of my partitions, or only the C:/?

a regular XP disk would allow yu the option to reformat the partition you select. not sure if your recovery disk will or not.

Basically, I've accepted that I'll probably have to reinstall Windows, but I want to minimize my data loss as much as possible. Even if you can't tell me what to do with Windows, any suggestions on backing up my info would be appreciated.

if your recovery disk has the windows i386 folder on it then you can create a regular XP disk from it. this would give you a few more options, like doing a repair install of XP on the partition you chose, leaving the other partitions intact. it would also permit you to build a BartPE disk which you could use to recover your data before trying to reinstall windows.

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

if you know anyone with an XP disk youo can use the i386 file from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back