Need help removing remnants of a program in Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwillard

I need help removing bits of a program left over from a botched "Uninstall" or "Add/Remove" operation that prevent me from installing a firewall/antivirus package. My OS is Windows 2000. Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 is the program that I need to completely remove from my computer.

As best I recall, I tried to uninstall the program with its own "Uninstall" feature several months back. Although the program is no longer on my computer, however, it still shows up in the list of currently installed programs in the Win2K "Add/Remove Programs" feature.

When I try to install a new firewall/antivirus package now, I get a message that Trend Micro PC-Cillin is still installed and must be removed before the new program can be installed.

Would much appreciate any insight on how to remedy this, to include hints on what to search for in previous threads.

dwillard

Howard,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, however, I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

dwillard

Uninstalling programs

dwillard said:
I need help removing bits of a program left over from a botched "Uninstall" or "Add/Remove" operation that prevent me from installing a firewall/antivirus package. My OS is Windows 2000. Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005 is the program that I need to completely remove from my computer.

As best I recall, I tried to uninstall the program with its own "Uninstall" feature several months back. Although the program is no longer on my computer, however, it still shows up in the list of currently installed programs in the Win2K "Add/Remove Programs" feature.

When I try to install a new firewall/antivirus package now, I get a message that Trend Micro PC-Cillin is still installed and must be removed before the new program can be installed.

Would much appreciate any insight on how to remedy this, to include hints on what to search for in previous threads.

dwillard

The best way is if it has Uninstall in it's Programs folder.
This should have done it.
But i always see if it deleted all by finding it's folder.
I have no trouble doing this.
This is just a way of saveing your options,if you decide to install it again.
You should be able to delete the folder and it's contents.
What happens when you try to remove whats still in add/remove ?
Do you have a Registry Fixer ?
Look for a freebie or a full version demo.Try here.
http://www.soft32.com/c/Windows/System_Utilities/2-6.html
Fix-It 6 is a good one.I used it for 30 days then bought it.

dwillard said:
Howard,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, however, I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

dwillard

If you click on the link I gave you all will be revealed. Once I have your HJT log, I`ll be able to look and see if there are any bits of Trend running and show you how to stop them etc.

Regards Howard :)

Howard,

Thanks for your offer but I am going to pass on it for now.

I'm a lot more interested in getting info on how to solve the problem myself than I am in having someone else solve it for me.

If I manage to really foul things up, though, then I'll be much more interested in whatever help you can give me! ;-)

Digby

I admire your train of thought. However, the chances are some bits of Trend are still running, probably as services and that`s why you can`t install another antivirus programme. These need to be stopped. HJT would alow me or you for that matter to see what, if any Trend services are still running. Obviously it helps if you understand the results of a HJT scan. All I was going to do was tell you which services need stopping if any. This would enable you to get rid of Trend, which is what you want to do right?

It is of course completely up to you and I will respect your wishes.

Regards Howard :)

zipperman said:
The best way is if it has Uninstall in it's Programs folder.
This should have done it.
But i always see if it deleted all by finding it's folder.
I have no trouble doing this.
This is just a way of saveing your options,if you decide to install it again.
You should be able to delete the folder and it's contents.
What happens when you try to remove whats still in add/remove ?
Do you have a Registry Fixer ?
Look for a freebie or a full version demo.Try here.
http://www.soft32.com/c/Windows/System_Utilities/2-6.html
Fix-It 6 is a good one.I used it for 30 days then bought it.

Zipperman,

Thanks for your posting. I thought I had replied to you earlier, but apparently I didn't push the right button to get my comment posted.

I have long since deleted the Trend Micro folder. The Win2K "Add/Remove Programs" feature, however, still shows Trend Micro installed as a 42.6MB program. When I try to use the 'Add/Remove Program" feature, it starts to run, then I get a message, "Fatal Error on Install", or similar.

Actually, I do have a registry fixer. I had not thought of using it, however, and had sort of forgotten I had it on the computer. It is an earlier version of "Fix-It 6" that is included in "System Suite 3.0". Both were originally developed by Ontrack, then sold to VCOM.

I have run the registry fixer, and was amazed at the amount of garbage it seined out of the registry. I did not see anything about Trend Micro, however, and Trend Micro was still listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" list when I checked.

Unless you have a better idea, I plan to go into the registry and see what I can find on Trend Micro. I have made a couple of Emergency Repair Disks, to include registry backup, copied relevant info on restoring the registry, and also copied several pages of postings on how to remove remnants of programs from the registry. I am, however, very open to any additional info you might have on cleaning out remnants of deleted program.

Digby

Do this first

Open the regedit and export all.Then do a seach useing what the exe was called.
Idea : Is there anything left in Start Menu/Programs ? If so click them and see the results.If there is right click and view the propertys for location.
If this was a demo expired,they have sneeky ways of not letting you install it again,unless you formated.
This would be in the registry.
But the add/remove entry is unusuall.
I don't suppose you want to install it again,then try uninstall again.
Just got another idea that XP won't do with Tweakui,but i did with older tweak versions. It was Remove items from the Add/Remove list.
It does have Registry Repair.
Try Tweakui for Win2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back