Need help resolving BSOD 0x7b on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past three days, I've been experiencing a problem that prevents me from booting into XP. Sys. specs are i9100, P4 3.0ghz, 1gb ram, WXP Pro, 60gig 7200rpm hd. Immediatly before the problem occured, I ran AdAware, SpyBot S&D, and NAV. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, a few instances of spyware were detected and deleted, but other than that, everything seemed normal. However, when I went to restart, I got a BSOD w/ err 0x24 immediately after the spashscreen. I tried to get into safe mode, but that didn't work either. I tried to run XP's repair installation, but that didn't help at all. So then, I attempted to use the recovery console. I ran a chkdsk /r, but that didn't help. Then, I decided to run a fixmbr. The message "your boot record is non-standard..." came up, so I typed "y" to write a new mbr. This resulted in another error, producing BSOD w/ err 0x7b. I tried running a chkdsk again, and using XP's repair installation, but that didn't help. I don't have enough disk space to do a parallel installation. I used ERD commander, and I am able to view all my files, so I know my HD isn't corrupt. I also read through all of MS's KB articles, tried to repair the XP hive, along with a few other things, but nothing helped. Now I'm stuck here, and I'm hoping someone has a suggestion. I can't reformat, as many of the files on this disk are important, and I need them for school. As a last resort, I'm considering going out and buying an external HD, but I'd prefer to repair this drive if it's an option. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be great!

You should have reacted at that first error x24. It warned that NTFS.sys IS CORRUPT!
Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version.

NTFS.SYS for XP/SP2: size=574,592 date=August/3/2004, Version 5.1.2600.2180

And it would be cheaper to buy an INTERNAL harddisk.

RealBlackStuff said:
You should have reacted at that first error x24. It warned that NTFS.sys IS CORRUPT!
Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version.

NTFS.SYS for XP/SP2: size=574,592 date=August/3/2004, Version 5.1.2600.2180

And it would be cheaper to buy an INTERNAL harddisk.

Yes, I had checked its properties, and they match up to what you listed above. Also, I can't purchase an internal HD, because I don't have room inside my lappy... hence I need to buy an external.

Buy a 2"-3" adapter, take the harddisk out and put it as a slave in someone's PC.
Save all your personal data on that other PC's harddisk.
Put your HD back in the laptop, make 2 partitions (C=40/D=20) and reinstall from scratch.
Then use a crossover networkcable to get your files back from that other PC.
In future, save your personal data on the second partition.

RealBlackStuff said:
Buy a 2"-3" adapter, take the harddisk out and put it as a slave in someone's PC.
Save all your personal data on that other PC's harddisk.
Put your HD back in the laptop, make 2 partitions (C=40/D=20) and reinstall from scratch.
Then use a crossover networkcable to get your files back from that other PC.
In future, save your personal data on the second partition.

My secondary PC's HD didn't have enough free space for all the files on my lappy's HD, so I gave in and bought an 80 gig external, and backed it up. Thank you for the help, though, hopefully this won't happen again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back