Need help securing my wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
kellyr24

ok, i m guilty, need help securing my wireless network. linksys router & modem, toshiba m45-s331, broadband isp. thanx in advance! nice thred btw

From here - HERE

Top 10 Security Tips for Home Wi-Fi Networks

1.Change your router's access name and password.

2.Turn on wireless data encryption -WPA.

3.Stop broadcasting your router's network ID.

4.Don't let users piggyback onto your Wi-Fi net -- turn off peer-to-peer connections.

5.Approve all wireless network users in advance.

6.Use a strong firewall.

7.Periodically check router logs for rogue users.

8.Password-protect your computers and files.

9.Put your wireless network on its own subnet.

10.Turn off wireless cards and routers when not in use.

you have given some sound advice but you havent thought of the many without the understanding or skills to achieve the desired outcome...

my wireless network is unsecured - its not that I havent tried because I have; even before I joined this site. So go easy on the unskilled and unfamiliarised members!

Some more things to think ab out

Think of this way you want to protect your house and don't want anyone in so you got to do it the same way for your Wireless...

1. You want to keep it securied as much as possible.
2. Change the Wireless Channel from the default 11
3. Create SSID name but not the same as your network or workgroup
4. Some WR and WAP can disable broadcast of SSID turn that on.
5. Use a login ID for accessing your wireless network alpha/numberic/caps on/off
6. Use MAC address filters manual setup (so users have to be added to your net)
7. Use WEP 128-bit but not HEX on all NIC and WR/WAP also
8. To really get protected you might want to see what the router has assigned for DHCP for each PC, then if you have a feature where you can use DHCP Static IP and create a name for each PC, MAC, static IP and lock now your network even more.

Let me tell you some lobbies in most companies give you free Wi-Fi don't setup your home like the same. If you buddy comes over you should have his MAC address and if you want setup login ID that access your wireless so when he connects he can come right in and login auto. Companies just don't do this you just login and your in!

WAP - Wireless Access Point or WAP = Wireless Application Protocol

No Encryption: No encryption. For security, encryption is recommended.

WEP:
An encryption scheme that can be used with virtually all wireless LAN clients.

TKIP:
An encryption scheme offering enhanced security over WEP, but with less client support.

AES: The fastest, most secure wireless encryption available.

NOTE: AES is highly recommended if all your wireless devices support it.

Not sure if those definitions are for me as I know quite well what WEP is & I also know that it's very easy to circumvent which is why I would advise to use WPA/WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protected Access) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back