Need help troubleshooting strange glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

Need help understanding EVENT LOG

Every once and a while, my computer will lock up for 10 seconds, then be fine. Brand new computer, parts listed in my profile.

I also notice that after it comes back from it's little "freeze", I am no longer connected to the internet (on a wireless home network).

When the freeze happens, everything locks up. Can't move the mouse, Ctrl-Atl-Del is not responsive.

Any ideas on how to begin troubleshooting?

memtest came out with no errors.... :mad:

I am using a Japanese version of XP. I do speak converstional Japanese, but reading is a lot harder that speaking, at least for me. I can read a fair amount but....

can you point me in the right direction to get into the "event viewer"? I just had a look around and couldn't find it.

All the menus are exactly the same as the English version, so if someone would be willing to walk me through with a "click X", "click y" I would give you my first born child.

..... that was a joke. :eek:

Please help with EVENT LOGS

Thanks again for any help.

I found the event log, and notice that I repeated get two errors many times every day. One is a yellow error, one is a red error.

I will attach them as txt files.

So it is a problem with my internet connection. For firewalls, I have ONLY the windowsSP2 firewall.

My question is, how can I determine whether the problem is with the router or my computers network card? The modem is a rental, so if that is the problem I can return it.

The Yellow Level errors happen a LOT more than the red (many times every day) but the reds are happening often as well.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Red Level.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Yellow Level.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 6
I also notice that I am getting this event log quite often, sometimes 10 seconds apart. It is not an error, just an event log, but the frequencey with which is it reporting is strange, no?

製品: Windows Operating System
ID: 4201
Source: Tcpip
Version: 5.2
シンボリック名: EVENT_TCPIP_MEDIA_CONNECT
Message: The system detected that network adapter %2 was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

説明
This is a normal event that indicates your network adapter is ready for normal operation.

対処方法
No user action is required.

Can I assume that this means the problem is actually NOT my router, and I should replace my wireless network card?

not surprisingly, i know nothing of the japanese language (i do know german though :) ) and have no knowledge of the japenese versions of windows. but i have heard of numerous glitches and faults in said software.

before replacing your network card, try updating your drivers or reinstalling the card. for good measure, i'd try uninstalling the card, rebooting, and seeing if the problem persists. the results of said action could save you lots of time.

may i ask what kind of NIC you have there?

Japanese Windows is no different from English windows. Exactly the same, only changes in the user interface (Japanese menus), and a few different pre-installed drivers. What glitches / faults have you heard of, and how could they be any different from normal (English version) windows faults?

But as for your suggestion, I have tried re-seating the card, and it makes no difference, and the drivers are up to date. It really looks like the network card is dead/dying to me. Just looking for some confirmation ;)

Download the free version of Zonealarm and use it instead of Windows firewall. The one in Windows is not very good. I agree with the last post, update your NIC drivers.

Thank you to both of you, I appreciate the time! :grinthumb

By the way, how about that red level event log I uploaded (post #4)? Any clue what that is? It doesn't seem related to the network card to me, but I am pretty clueless...

looks like something is trying to start DCOM services.

I would go to trend micro or symantec and do a virus scan on this box....

also do the normaly adaware removal...

from the events listed it sounds like you have a rogue program trying to start services, you may have a trojan....

It is a fresh install of windows (1 week old), antivirus software was the first thing installed before connecting to the internet so hopefully it is not a virus or I'll go nuts! :knock:

I'll run some anti-spyware now and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the advice!

Found TONS of spyware, something like 60 different items. Wow, after a week of installing windows!!!!

Deleted them all, exept a few won't clean up. Posted a new thread to get some help. Thanks!!!

that sounds about right.

I try to keep a copy of adaware with updates and avg with updates on a cd so if i need to do a fresh install i can have them before i even connect to the net.

another thing download the security updates to a cd as well.. and install them before connecting.... it helps a little

My faith in Symantec has been shaken....

I know many of you hate symantec, but I have used it for a LONG time, and it has never let me down. Virus free for many years.

Until now....
It found this today. Grrrrrrr.

Hacktool.PassReminder is a program that attempts to discover the system password.

Symptoms
A file is detected as Hacktool.PassReminder.

Transmission
This hacktool must be manually installed.

File names: PasswordReminder.exe

This program attempts to grant itself the debug privilege on a local computer. Then, it searches in memory for the system password of the user, who is currently logged on.

How the "#$%"#$ did this get on my system?

You should get yourself a router. This has a built-in firewall. The XP firewall is useless, to put it mildly, it only protects against some INCOMING traffic, OUTGOING can do what it wants!
Then set it up using FIXED IP for the PC. Have a look at the attachment here:
Basics-networking
Some ISPs don't let you stay on 24/7, so you would lose your connection periodically.

Do NOT install Zonealarm, it is a real resource-hogger. Get the free Sygate firewall instead from http://soho.sygate.com

I could be wrong, but I think I am using a router and it uses NAT protocol. ( I hope that is right, not too up to date on this kind of stuff).

If that is the case, do you still recommend sygate firewall? Do I need it?

A hardware firewall alone is not enough, you'd need the extra protection from a software firewall, so yes, get that Sygate.

Have you tried (in a command session or DOS-box) ipconfig /renew ?
That gives you a new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back