Need help upgrading from 32bit to 64bit Processor !

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys - I have a P42.4GHz Intel on an intel 845GBV mobo .

I am looking at upgrading it to an AMD 3200+ socket 939 winchester .
My problem is - I have a 128MB AGP 4x GF4 Ti 4400 video card . Is there a mobo for the socket 939 processor with AGP slot ? Can I retain this AGP card on the new mobo for the AMD ? I mean if the new mobo has an AGP 8x slot will it support my AGP 4x card ?

secondly what graphics card would you guys suggest which would give me same performance or better than my current card ( I am happy with current performance though ) .

pls help me out :grinthumb

There are a lot of 939 cards on the market that supports AGP...
Here you should find a search on newegg.com which lists all the 939 motherboards with an AGP slot.

Out of those, the MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM and ASUS A8V DELUXE are both good cards...
In general, all the cards listed with 4 points or more should be safe bets. Pick one that suits your budget.
But if you were to upgrade your gpu, I would think about going PCI-E/PEG, as anything (or at least close to anything) available will outperform your current card...

thanks for all the help guys - I just came to know that soon AMD is releasing its dual core pro ..so I would rather wait for that. :grinthumb

Dual-core CPUs are already available from AMD & Intel, no need to wait (but be ready to sell a kidney or two...).

If you go with the nForce chipset then your nForce3 boards will have AGP and the nForce4 boards will have PCI-E

Go PCI-E, prices are jumping like mad right now, PCI-E are getting a lot cheaper then AGP for the same card. Such as an ATI X800 Pro for example. As much as $100 cheaper for PCI-E.
AGP's life is numbered.

umm...nopes not Intel for me . HAve had enough problems and frustration with INTEL ! :mad:

Getting a good PCI-e card here is not an easy affair and given that I am only looking for a small increase im video card performance compared to my current AGP , I think I might as well retain my AGP card and use it on a mobo which has 8x AGP .

I have found an ASROCK mobo with dual core support and AGP 8x/4x slot . I think I will go for this mobo . The processor though seems like its not yet available in India. puke: :dead:

I don't care much for Asrock for a motherboard manu. That's all I'll say. Find and read some reviews before you buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back