Need Help (WindowsNetworking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtimmmyx

Im trying to set up a thing on my network at home that allows me and my other computer to share one specific file, and for that file to be changed between either computer. One computer is on windows xp home, and the main one is on Pro. im using the guide at the following link

http://www.intel.com/personal/howto/dhg_networked_PCs.htm

but once i get to the part about right-clicking the file i want to share(on my XP Pro pc, that is going to be the host or w/e), and checking the 2 boxes so that that file will be recognized i get an error when i click apply, it says:
An error occured while trying to share "File Name". The Server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

Now my ISP just came out and set up a network today so that the comps would both have internet, one using a wireless router, the other not. Im at a loss for what to do.
Please help someone.

Regards,
Tim

An error occured while trying to share "File Name". The Server service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

The Server service isn't on. Use Start->Run->services.msc

to open the services window. Scroll to Server, set it to Automatic, and then Start it. You need this to share files.

Thanks, now that thats solved im having trouble getting the workgroup to work. Both computers are set up on the network "xx NETWORKING" and have unique computer names. I have the file "Data Sharing" selected for sharing and it even has the little hand thingy under it. But, when i go to the other computer, and go to Network Places, the folder doesnt want to show up. any ideas?

EDIT: and when i try to view the other comps in the workgroup, it says that the Network Path cant be found.

After setting up workgroups, run the network setup wizard (via control panel). This is probably the easiest way to set up a network. After you've done that, open the properties of the folder you want to share, and check the share option.
If you don't want to share printers, or the shared documents folder, remember to turn them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back