TechSpot

Need help with a new mobo...

By RUDEBWOY
Oct 18, 2006
  1. ok i currentley have a ECS PT800CE-A i just added a nvidia 7800 evga to it now i have 2 gig ram on it but i want 4 gig can some one help me find the same mobo but one that holds 4 gig ram slots instead thanks!

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

3. RUDEBWOY

RUDEBWOY TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 160

will this hold my current intel p4 chip?

4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Yes it will :)

5. RUDEBWOY

OK 1 MORE ?? my current ram is wintec ampo i think its pc 3200 if im correct just look at my board info can i get the same ram type?cause im thinking of getting that board plus 2 gig ram same type thats in my current mobo so i can put all together and have 4 gig ram..and will i have to format my pc with the new mobo or what?cause i never swapped mobos befor just always a fresh pc etc.Total: $241.79 that isnt bad for a mobo plus 2 gig ram =x

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

PC3200 RAM will work in ur new mobo just fine. Get a 2x2GB dual-channel kit for best performance.

7. RUDEBWOY

ok so the 2 gig ram i got in my pc now i can use on that new motherboard all i have to do is get the same type?cause i really trying to aviod having to buy new ram types etc.

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Yes that's all u gotta do. Make sure it's the same brand too if possible and good luck!:grinthumb

9. RUDEBWOY

yea im def getting the same wintec ram sticks 1 gig each so itll be 4 gigs....im running over to the pc shop this morning so my boy can look over everything and give me the go on things etc.and i dont need pci express i just got a nvidia 7800 evga agp 8x and its perfect.

10. RUDEBWOY

will i have to format windows etc?or can i just drop the new mobo in and let windows find it?

11. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Maybe you'll have to format, for best performance & compatibility, but if you don't want to do it, check THIS.

Regards :wave:

12. RUDEBWOY

some one also told me windows might on pick up 3 gig ram even tho itll run 4 gig ram is this true?

13. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

This is correct. XP Pro/Home x86 32 bit will only address 3 gig of RAM by default, 1 gig virtual. This is a "4 gig" process limit.

I'm unsure what you're planning on getting out of 2 gig -> 4 gig. In this memory model and for valid usages > 2 gig, you're usually looking at 64bit cpu/64 bit memory addressing.

Never fear though as the boot.ini can be modified to create a virtual/per process improvement in >3 gig XP environments using good old 32-bit XP Pro or Home through Physical Address Extensions (google AWE for more info on this as it allows a 3gig per application memory space, 1 gig for kernel address).

To do this, once you have 4 gig installed, manually edit the BOOT.INI file on your boot device and add /3GB option.

14. RUDEBWOY

im pretty sure running 4 gig will even make my pc faster any way...

wintec 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)

thats what i got now im wondering if some one can look on newegg.com and help me find the same type of ram for me thanks.

15. RUDEBWOY

well i have 1100 bucks to spend so i decided to swap out my mobo go with a dual core 2...2.3 ghz 3 gig ram so im getting that tommrow instead of getting that crappy mobo and 4 gigs.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.