Need help with a newly bought HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrosis

Well today I ran out to staples to go on a shopping spree... well I only bought a 200GB HDD that was on sale for $70 and then a $20 rebate. Well I get home to find out that there is no room to put this new HDD. Now when I say no room I don't mean there isn't a slot in my computer for it (because there is) but there isn't a place to plug it in with the ATA cable.

I really want this HDD installed for extra space (Anime, movies, games, etc.) but I don't know a way to do so without taking out the other HDD. I'm also not too literate on this side of computers so any help is appreciated. If I'm not making any sense please tell me.

Two hard drives can be fitted to each mobo ata connector, you probably just need to buy a new data cable that has two hard drive plugs on it instead of one!!!!!

That's true. You can also buy a external enclosure and place the drive inside. This allows you to convert your IDE drive to a USB drive that you can carry around with you wherever you go :)

It also depends on how many IDE controllers your motherboard has. I presume you have at least one optical drive. If you have two IDE controllers, you can install up to four internal IDE devices, any combination of hard drives and optical drives. If you only have one IDE controller, you can still buy a PCI IDE controller card which will give you additional capacity for more IDE drives.

mailpup said:
It also depends on how many IDE controllers your motherboard has. I presume you have at least one optical drive. If you have two IDE controllers, you can install up to four internal IDE devices, any combination of hard drives and optical drives. If you only have one IDE controller, you can still buy a PCI IDE controller card which will give you additional capacity for more IDE drives.

This is exactly what I do. I have 4 hard drives, and 2 CD's (1 DVD ROM and 1 Combo CD/DVD burner on the IDE bus, enhanced by a Promise IDE controller. This controller can support 4 IDE drives. I only have 2 on mine

Wish I had read this before I returned it.. ohwell thanks for yyour help guys, I go tnew speakers that are kickass out fo this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back