need help with a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakob

My friend gave me a bt Voyager 220V router to use on my computer as he got a new router which worked. after going through the process of installing the router, i got told i needed to connect using a bt broadband account which i don't have, i'm with another isp and was wondering is it possible to connect to the internet on both computers on a different ISP. if so can somebody plz tell me how, its obviously on adsl because the modem/router is adsl

The two pc's i want to network both with internet sharing:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PC1:
Pentium 4
180GB HD
1GB RAM
XP Home

PC2:
Pentium 4
1x 30GB HD
1x 110GB HD
512MB RAM
XP Home

the router/modem has a slot for "internet" or DSL but after plugging in the dsl line the light just stays off, nothing happens

setup both machines as single systems for internet
add a nic to both machines set these to a static lan ip thats diff from the other 2 EI: 173.63.1.1
now that does not break anyones TOS
yet both can see the other
use cross over cable for this
or get another switch

in my area the phone company has to run a seperate line for the other ISP
this does not apply to cable
but you can have a dsl and cable setup as long as your phone service is not on cable/digital
at one time I had all 3 no problem

Router problems.

i have managed to get my router to work but it won't let the other connected pc to go online.

plz help...

What does your router status page say?

Are you familiar with getting into the router config page (aka 'web admin')? Type the IP address of your router into your favorite Internet browser (IE, Firefox etc..) and press enter. You'll be prompted for a username and password - consult your manual.

The IP of most routers is either 192.168.0.1 (Most other brands), 192.168.2.1 (Microsoft, Belkin) or 192.168.1.1 (Linksys)

Rick said:
What does your router status page say?

Are you familiar with getting into the router config page (aka 'web admin')? Type the IP address of your router into your favorite Internet browser (IE, Firefox etc..) and press enter. You'll be prompted for a username and password - consult your manual.

The IP of most routers is either 192.168.0.1 (Most other brands), 192.168.2.1 (Microsoft, Belkin) or 192.168.1.1 (Linksys)
got that, can access web on one pc but i cannot on the other, i can access the admin page on both comps, and i've swapped wires again and again but still nothing, it's as if the comp hates the router :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back