Need help with a slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chivas

here are the hijackthis, avg antispyware and combofix logs

panda antirootkit didn't find a thing

any help appreciated... thanks

Your log files are clean.

However, I recommend you have HJT fix the following entries.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {259F616C-A300-44F5-B04A-ED001A26C85C} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - SolidConverterPDF - (no file) (HKCU)

Delete the following files/folders.

C:\Qoobox
C:\vundofix backups
C:\windows\ALCMTR.EXE

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Chivas only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

This is a perfect example of inappropriately posting a hijack log in the hope that a 'slow computer' will be speeded up.

Before taking this step, you should:
1. Stop all unnecessary programs from starting up and running in the background. This is done on the Startup tab of the msconfig utility. Only anti-virus, firewall, touch-pad if laptop and network service is network is set up need to start at boot. Everything else can be started as needed, then stopped.

I see most people posting their hijacklogs running the Sun Java updater, jusched.exe and the Adobe reader at start-up. Neither process should be running.

2. Good maintenance on a system is a must- disc cleanup, error check and defrag should be done regularly according to the use of the user.

3. Programs that aren't used should be uninstalled.

4. Services that aren't needed, used or act as dependencies for other Services should be disabled or put on manual.

These are the things to be done before you throw out a hijacklog expecting malware to be the culprit. "Then" if system is still slow, check installed RAM- is it sufficient for the OS you use? Many users only have 256MB installed RAM and run Windows XP. This is not enough for good performance.

Edit for spelling.

I don`t think in this case it was inappropriate, as some malware was actually cleaned from the system and he just wanted his log files checking.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back