Need Help with chipset cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

I have a EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLi Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard and recently the little fan over the southbridge chipset cooler keeps getting clogged wit dust and its working but the hum it makes is annoying the crap out of me if anyone could recommend a good heatsink without a fan price doesn't matter to much but prefer if it would be copper and not aluminim but not that big of a deal if it is.

also if you look at some pictures of the mobo the cipset cooler is sitting kinda close to my PCIxE 16 vid card on the top slot so can't be to huge but any help would be good as i've searched alot of places.

thanks, da n00b

zalman makes a couple fan-less chipset cooler models. they are aluminum but should still work ok.

ok so now I have a new problem i found the heatsinks but the specs on them are all to big there height is not possible on my mobo because the back edge of my vid card will hit it or touch so i'm wondering if i just pull the heatsink i have on my chip and put some AS5 on it instead of the stock thermal paste if that'd be enough coolng to leave the little gimp fan they put on top of it i mean it can't be moving that much air and this fan is really rubbing me the wrong way.

AS5 would help, but can't replace the effectiveness of a fan. from the reviews of that board I have read, they say that the heatsink gets quite warm to the touch. removing the fan will most likely cause it to overheat.

i just looked at that bpard online and the location of that chipset makes it difficult. I see what you mean about the video cards. do you have any old boards or cards with a low profile heatsink you could take from it? you may be able to get away with a fan-less heatsink but it has to have cooling fins across the entire heatsink. (the stock heatsink only has fins out the outer edges, without a fan it would be useless)

dust is not your PC's friend. if it keeps getting caked with dust then your whole PC is probably caked with dust. have you tried cleaning the dust from your PC and blowing the dust from the fan to see if that makes it quiet again?

my whole comp isn't dusty at all as a matter of fact i clean it every weekend just for that matter but that little PoS fan gets clogged in like 3 days and its every 3 days its getting really irritating but I don't have any older video cards with low-pro. heatsinks but gunna keep loooking maybe i'll get lucky but i have dust filter for all my tri-cool fans and my cases is well sealed i use rubber bindings around all the edges to dampen vibration and keep its more quite thinking about buying some of that sound proofing stuff but doubt it will help much see as you can't sound proof a fan vent lol i appreciate yur help.

that's an odd problem you have there. i don't see how it gets caked with dust when you use filtered fans and you clean it regularly.

abut anyways, the only other solution besides a low profile fanless heatsink (which wont work good anyways, if it works at all) would be a heatpipe connected remote heatsink, or a waterblock.

would this heatpipe cooler work???

if not, then try this VGA water cooler out but instead using it on your video card, use it on your chipset instead.

just some ideas... good luck :)

well i was looking around newegg and i happened across these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119061
now these are solid copper and the height specs are perfect at 6mm that'll easily fit under my graphics card only the width and length maybe a little short but i could always stick 2 together my chipset never gets very hot anyway its rarely goes over 34C max plus i moved one of my tri-cool fans to blow over that area and am thinking i might use my dremel tool to make some new holes to mount it even closer.

but gimme yur thoughts on these heatsinks Cody you've been very helpful thus far and i doubt that aluminum POS thats on there now would dissipate heat anywhere near the heat these would

those heatsinks are for the RAM chips on the video card, I doubt it would be enough to keep your chipset cool. don't forget that your chipset stays at 34C with active cooling. it will get hotter than that with passive cooling unless the heatsink is big.

the heatsink that's on there now isn't bad, but it requires active cooling to work.

you didn't read the features part of that heatsink down towards the bottom it also states "• Application for motherboard chipset / DDR chipset / VGA chipset"

that doesn't really change anything. in theory you could "apply" them to anything that's flat and gets hot. but it's the small size that limits it's cooling ability.

I still doubt that it will work, but the only way to know is to try it. I would recommend using 4 of them, not 2 (only half of each heatsink would be on the chip itself, the other half of each chip would overhang. this would double the surface area and theoretically cool better)

good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back