Need Help with DDR Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aright i have a msi kt3 ultra 2 mother board that i run xp home edition on. And this mobo has 3 sdddr ram slots. Which hold up to a max of 3gigs. And i had 2 512 sticks of ddr ram in it. A couple months ago i bought another 512 stick of ram and installed it and my computer completley ****ed up. It was running even slower thain my old windows 95 did. so i took out one of my old sticks of ram and replaced it with the new one and it ran fine. Well today i decided that i wanted to **** with it again and put the other stick in there. well now my comp wont even start windows. so i took it back out and its still doin the same ****. this screen comes up telling me that windows wont start and says that it will start in 30 sec. after that it does the usual loding screen with the xp logo. but then the screen just goes blank. i really need some help. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

*edit* also my power supply has 115/230 volts. when i run it on 115 its fine but when i run it on 230 my moniter wont respond. i have a acer 19" widescreen moniter.

Hi antihero,

either the 3rd RAM stick is bad, or it's incompatible with the other sticks.

test each stick separately to verify that it's a good RAM stick. if they each work fine alone, then they are incompatible with each other.

when you mix different RAM sticks (different brands, different densities, different latencies, etc.) it's a hit-or-miss... sometimes they work fine together, but often they don't. it is not uncommon for different RAM sticks to be incompatible with each other, especially cheap/generic ones.

for maximum compatibility, stability, and performance you should run matched sticks of quality RAM. you should avoid mixing different RAM and especially avoid cheap or generic brands.

cheers :wave:

*edit* also my power supply has 115/230 volts. when i run it on 115 its fine but when i run it on 230 my moniter wont respond. i have a acer 19" widescreen moniter.

Just need to point this out. This switch at the back of the PSU is so that you can use it in (for example) USA, which is 110V/60Hz or bring it to another country like Australia (switch it to 240V/50Hz) and still use the same PSU. So in short, that switch should correspond to your country/region's power rating. If you're switching it to the incorrect setting for the place you're in, it may damage the system, possibly destroying it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back