Need help with DST Bootable Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got an answer on how to find my BIOS master password on my Dell Latitude D610 by using DST Software and making it into a bootable disc.

Great, i have never created a bootable disc before and i'm quite a rookie when it comes to knowing what to do.

So, i've downloaded and extracted the files, and i've read the ReadMe and the text files that came with it to try and give myself understanding of what to do. Unfortunately, all that i got was information on how to boot from a Floppy, and not how to boot from a CD.

I've burnt the CD as a bootable one, using an image from the files i downloaded. I then proceeded to restart my laptop to see if it would boot from the CD, no such luck, i then used the F12 function, which came up with the list;

Internal HDD

BIOS Setup
Diagnostics

Seeing as i can't make the CD Drive into a bootable option (Due to the locked BIOS), i'm out of ideas, or probably just knowledge to know how to boot the disc.

Could anyone give me a quick and easy lesson on how i'm supposed to create this CD, as all that was in the ZIP folder was a guide on how to boot from a floppy.

Or if i've done what i'm supposed to up until now, how to boot this CD, as the only option i have to boot from is my hard-drive.

Please can i get a quick answer on this before you move it to the BIOS thread, as no-one can really help there seeing as its locked.

Thanks in advance.

Locked meaning its got the password on.

Thats the term its been using when i first encountered the problem. Says i need to "unlock" it by entering the Admin password.

Which is the problem i'm having, hence why i made the CD to try and boot from that.

Without being able to get into the bios i don't think you will be able to boot from cd!!!!!

Does your computer have a floppy drive? I think that is the only way to do what you want!!!

No, i brought this up earlier. Its for a laptop, if you read the pinned post, i'm having the same trouble as most others using Dell laptops.

I have no idea if i have an External Floppy Drive around anywhere.

What the Disc is supposed to do is retrieve the password to my BIOS so i can access and edit it. Apparently, the Disc, bootable, using an image is supposed to work.

Its late, so i may just look around for an external floppy drive in the morning, even so, i don't think it would let me boot from that either, as i don't have the option to boot from anything other than my HD.

I don't fancy the option of having to mess around with the jumpers inside, but if theres no other way, i may have to resort to it. That being a last resort anyway.

Dell Hell

I have a C600 Dell with Admin Password. Since I bought a Dell LS 500MHz P3 laptop earlier off eBay, I also bought an external Dell floppy as well... Try eBay, it's a charm.... However, mine uses the Parallel port. If you have Windows running, you can also use this for a Bantem Backpack drive, of any variety...however it does use a driver to setup. Anyway, this external Dell Floppy drive is the same style needed to fit snug in the C600 bay, as well as with the cable, which is clealy labelled with a sticker for Floppy Use Only, and sure enough, it didn't work with the CD ROM that came with the C600. I still was able to use this in the bay, and the parallel port.

Anyway, without a HDD, it's booting from all my sources, however, I haven't had it try USB, you may want to go that route. You can get Linux on a pen drive, as an example... or DSL...Damn Small Linux for a floppy disk IIRC.

My default BIOS setting are locked but don't appear to be a real issue in getting software to run thus far.

BILL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back