Need help with EVGA 6600LE 256MB card AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante13

I seriously need help with this. I don't know the terms to what it's doing. But heres a description after like 30min-1hour of playing a game I start getting bad textures the ground or sky will be see through with lines running across it along with Black triangles. The textures on models will start to have small triangles that are see through. The world will have these black lines. It gets so bad that I can't even play my games after it does that. It happens faster on more intense graphic type games. When on load the comp runs at 65 degrees celsius. So not too hot.

Here is specs
Proc: 2.5 Intel Pentim 4
Mobo:ECS L4S5MG/651 SIS series
Ram 512MB DDR SDRAM of Ram
Video Card: EVGA 6600LE 256MB
PSU:330 watts

I'd say one of three things.

1. The memory on your graphics card is toast.
2. Your video card is overheating.
3. Your PSU is failing on you (or simply not up to the task).

My guess is 2 but we need a bit more info. How long have you had that graphics card? If you JUST bought it, then I'd say the problem could be that your PSU just can't handle the extra stress. The fact that you are able to play for 30 mins or so makes me think that it is probably an overheating problem.

To troubleshoot, open up your case and aim a house fan at your computer's inside. If that stops the problem (or helps it) then we know it is a cooling issue.

Let us know how it goes!

As a side note, you should probably consider a PSU upgrade regardless. That's pretty low wattage for a 6600 card. How many amps does it have on the 12v rail?

I don't think it's a overheating issue cause I have pointed a fan underneath the card already. And, the amps is I think 20. Not sure. How would I check that? In bios? Oh, and I am running at 56 degrees when not under load (not gaming) And 65 degrees when on load (gaming) I don't have a house fan on me. I don't believe it's a heating issue.

You should be able to check how many amps it has on the 12v rail by looking at the sticker on it.

Ok I think it's 20 amps. That's what it says on the sticker. So, is it my power supply that is keeping me from playing games? Cause I don't experience anything when I'm not playing games.

If there is ever going to be a problem on ANY computer, it will be during gaming.

Games are incredibly demanding on pretty much every part of the system, so it is often hard to pinpoint exactly what the problem is.

When you are gaming, your CPU usage is very high, producing a lot of heat. When a cpu is at high temps it is prone to making mistakes. Just like me in the Japanese summer, they can't think well when they get hot.

Ram, video cards as well. Gaming puts them to the test.

And the PSU is the most difficult to diagnose because when it is not sending out power evenly, it makes other parts function incorrectly. It is easy to think that there is a problem with other parts, when the actual problem is your PSU sending out uneven power.

Anyways, to get back to your specific system, 20amps on the 12v is a little low, but it actually could be enough for your system. I'm more worried about the watts in your PSU than the amps. Still, given the low watts, the low(ish) amps on the 12v and the fact that PSUs are cheap and easy to install, I'd recommend getting yourself something reliable. You can get a great 400w fortron PSU off newegg for 40 or 50 dollars these days.

What you describe still sounds to me like a classic case of a graphics card overheating though. Especially if you say you are able to play for 30 mins or so without problems, then suddenly your pictures starts pixelating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back