Samstoned

is there a way to get around port 21 restriction from my isp
system is on a comcast cable setup modem to linksys router to 3layer switch
to ftp server
is it possible for clients to log on to port 21
on my router change it to another port to fool the ISP

listen port 21 to port 5353 like that
so inside of using ftp.m7l.com:5353/ they just need ftp.m7l.com/

You could do anything you like with your router but the fact is that none of the packets headed for port 21 will never reach your cable modem or the router - they are blocked by Comcast gear long before that.

You could set up some sort of a proxy outside the blocks of your ISP of course.. Or maybe just call Comcast and ask for the port to be opened?

Can yo not just change the port number to one you know is let through by your ISP? That would be the easiest thing in my mind. And whoever is connecting to it should be able to input whatever port without any problems.

Thanks
thats what I thought
no sense in redirecting just pick another port
I opened port 5323 and filezilla works, so far, need someone to test out side.
I can't do it from my net.
how does passive configuration work?

In active FTP the user requests a file and tells the server which port on the user side the server should connect to. This means that the user has to have appropriate ports open on the firewall.

In passive FTP the user requests a file and the server tells the user which port to connect to on the server to start the transfer. This means that the server has to have the approriate ports open of course.

Usually you can tell the FTP server software a port range that it should use for passive mode FTP. Then you just open those ports on your firewall and you can do passive FTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back