Need help with installing my new video card, screen stays black when i turn on comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOKER_MOFO

Okay now i have no idea what the model is for my mother board, and no idea what type of AGP slot it has, but it is empty because atm i have an onboard NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX INtegrated GPU. my computer atm is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 512 MB PC2700 333 cl2.5 DDR (its also a crapy HP Pavilion if that helps). I bought the computer back in september 2003 and it was refurbished if that helps in determining what type of AGP slot it is.

here is the video card i bought:http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1043623&sku=C460-8006
(ya i know, noot good or anything, but i dont need some super good video card with my computer) i only wanted to get a new one because when i bought new ram (2x512, PC3200 400 cl2.5 DDR ram) it didnt work in my computer when ever i ran a game like cs, it would always shut down or restart my computer.

I know i need to disable my previous driver for my onboard video card, but i did that and installed the video card and checked to see if it worked by plugging in my monitor, mouse and keyboard and turning it on, and nothing came up on my monitor.

The help would be greatly appreciated, because i also want to run another game on my computer (like HL2 or CS:S because CS 1.6 just aint enough :p)

And if you are able to determine somehow what type of AGP slot it is, would the AGP 8x i bought work on it? or would it have voltage issues that are causing it to not work.

thanks

I just downloaded EVEREST and it tells me what my hardware is like, so it tells me what the name is of my motherboard (this should help) and everything with itField
Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID Exp$103.011$06/27/2003-17:27:59$nFORCE
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X-LA

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 5333 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type HyperTransport v1.0
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset nForce2-IGP
Extra Features CPU Overheating Protection

I hope this helps

i also just found this.

Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description nVIDIA nForce2 Integrated GeForce4 MX Video Adapter
Bus Type AGP 4x
Bus / Device / Function 2 / 0 / 0
Device ID 10DE-01F0
Subsystem ID 1043-80C0
Device Class 0300 (VGA Display Controller)
Revision A3
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

Device Features
66 MHz Operation Supported
Bus Mastering Enabled

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

that says that my AGP slot is 4x correct? then does that mean that the card that i said that i have bought above (runs at AGP8x) wont work? and that i need to get one that runs at AGP 4x correct? thanks (i think i have somewhat solved the problem myself, lol)

I think you misunderstood me, I said underpowered, not unpowered. I mean, maybe you have a really low wattage power supply (180w-200w), that is overloaded by installing the card.

I doubt that the issue is agp compatibilty, since it's listed elsewhere as agp 8x/4x. It may just be a dud card, it happens.

sorrty bout that, is there anytwayt i can check to see how much power my power supply has? im not the greatest person with computer hardware :/

IT says its 200W. I checked out th chaintech site and it doesnt give a specific powersupply requirements, so i am thinking that maybe its faulty? im not sure but that is my guess after looking at all these other possibilities

the only thing is that my computer turns on when i had the video card in, so i am now sure whats exactly wrong here.

I'm not sure but your computer could have been using about 180w to start, and then when you installed the card, it would probably take 30w+ more power which would put you over it's 200w maximum power output.

It still may not be the problem though.

oh well its alright im going to return it and then maybe get one that i know is AGP4x (to prevent compatibilty issues) and try to get a friend who knows computers very well to help me with it, to ensure i am not doing anything wrong.

thanks for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back