Need help with MBR in Win7

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

I had one HD with Win7 64Bit. I installed a 32Bit version on a second HD. Before installation I did not remove the first drive. Currently MBR is on the first drive and I can't use the system without that drive. I need to wipe that drive so I can use it for Ubuntu.
Question is how do I fix or create an MBR on the new (32Bit) installation? Is it anything like in WinXP? I would try, but I don't want to screw anything up and be left with nothing. Rather be sure than sorry (again).

Thanks.
Regards.

Ok so you have physical drive 0, with win7-64 on it, and physical drive 1 with win7-32, you tried taking out drive 0 and it didn't work? Ok...

As far as I know installing Ubuntu (you are formating drive 0 first right?) will overwrite the MBR and you will be booting off drive 0 with GRUB instead of the win7 boot loader. Thats fine, GRUB is pretty easy to use and will recognize and boot into windows 7 no problem. May want to wait for someone who knows what their talking about first though.

You also might want to consider using 64 bit too.

both LILO and Grub will preserve the exising windows boot information and import it into the Linux boot loader as an option.

notice: exising windows boot; Windows must be installed first for this to work.

Checkout EasyBCD (for full Win 7 support i think you'll need v2.0 here)
Here's an EasyBCD you tube video overivew

EasyBCDforWindows7.jpg

Thanks guys. Sorry for such a late reply I was very ill.
I changed my mind about Ubuntu as I realized that there is nothing comparable with many apps I use on Windows (Photoshop and dreamweaver, for example). I still want to wipe out the drive where the boot record is, though.
I have attempted to simply disconnect that drive and attempted to use the installation DVD to create a new boot record on the drive I need using the Repair console and bootsec.exe. That failed. It does detect the installation, but will not write the new MBR.
I will attempt to use the EasyBCD and will post if it worked.

That didn't work.
Is there anyway that I can copy the MBR from the first drive to the second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back