TechSpot

Need help with my moms emachine

By Jay Risland
Jan 24, 2006
  1. Hi everyone. I got mom an emachine a couple of years ago. She does a lot of work for the township she lives in. The other week she said it was making a funny sound and a strange noise was coming from it. She couldn't get it to do anything after that. It won't boot, show desktop...nothing. She brought to some people that have questionable practices in the area, and they told her it was fried. She wasn't using it at the time, and it's never been connected to the internet. Are these machines that cheap? She has township information on it yet that needs to get taken out some how. Help please. It's a model # T1840 running Windows XP Home edition and a Pentuim celeron.

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

It's really hard to diagnose the system without either a: looking at it, or b: having you there looking at it as we ask you questions, so this won't be easy ;)

Strange noises coming from it... could be a number of things, but the first two that pop into mind are either the hard drive died, or one of the fans died. Those are the ones that tend to make a lot of noise before dying.

If it was the hard drive, then you'd need to take it to a data recovery company to get that data off of it.

If it was a fan, then hard drive should be intact, and you should have no problems getting the data off the hard drive by installing that hard drive into a different computer as a slave drive.

But to answer your question, unfortunately yes those emachines tend to fall apart, as is evidenced by the number of emachine owners posting in this forum.

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

hopefully if your hard disk isn't dead you can try to pop it into another computer and then back up the data to a suitable media and access it through there.

about the machine, does it have any life to it at all? eg fans spining, lights etc?

4. Jay Risland

Jay Risland TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help people. I found someone who will look into it for me. He's fixed another system for me. Just got ahold of him. He also said it sounded like a power supply issue. Will let you all know what I found. Jay

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

what you've told me it sounds like something's fried.. since its with your friend he should be able to give you some proper hands-on help than talk :)
    Good luck!
    N3051M

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.