Need Help with PC upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded MOB,CPU,RAM and HDD on my PC.
here is specifications
I have upgraded my PC to
CPU INTEL Pentium D925.
RAM, 2 GB DDR2 Kingston 667
HDD, one Orignal IDE and one SATA, on SATA 3 Port on MOB.
MOB
ASRock ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0(VGA,2DDR2-667,PCI-E)

IDE is set to be Master.
CD is Slave.
both on same cable.

when go to BIOS it shows all the connected drives and new CPU and RAM but it shows 233 instead of 333. can i change 233 to 333 in Advanced option in BIOS.

I had XP on my IDE.
i am Getting to the screen where it asks for windows to run in
Normal Mode
SAfe Mod
Networking mode
if i select Normal it goes through another circle of Boot and ask the question again.

Do i need to install XP again.

For this i am thinking of removing IDE first , Installing XP on SATA and installing IDE again.

Will this be Ok or will it create some kind of problem between XP on SATA and XP on IDE
What happens to the copy of XP already on IDE will i loose it along with all the programs like MS office and Antivirus.

Or is there any other way to do it. Becasue i really need those programs.

Thanks

just do a repair install of windows on top of your current windows, that will save everything u have and will make your computer work again.

boot from the CD
press enter to install XP
press F8 to agree to the EULA
when windows finds the previous installation press R
that will repair your windows.

Thanks for the Reply

Do i need to Use the orignal cd which i used to install it on IDE . or i can use any XP CD .

*please stop quoting the full post right before your own post*

Windows recovery disk will probably not help in this case because you changed the motherboard and recovery disks are usually tied to the original motherboard and will not install their software on anything but the same brand of motherboard. You will need an OEM Windows XP install disk to make this work.

Thanks for the reply.

It was assembled PC before the upgrading too. Only thing is that the xp was installed by my work. and i don't have that cd to install it.

You can go back to your work and say, Hey can I get an OEM copy of Windows, so I can do a reinstall please?

OR

You can buy a copy of Windows XP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056
or if you need XP Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116059

or you can borrow a friends OEM WIndows XP disk and install with your serial number if you have one.

Or if you have access to broadband internet and a CD burner, you can download an ISO of an OEM copy of Windows XP and burn that to CD and install that with your serial number if you have one.

If you don't have a serial number then you're pretty much stuck with the first two options. The bittorrent option really isn't a good idea because you'll probably end up downloading something that has viri.

Thanks for the reply . Loading Xp Is not the problem i can Buy one . but the problem is i don't want to loose the programs on my IdE.

I have Ms office 2007 prof, AutoCAD and some other expensive softwares.
What happens if i disnconnect IDE. Install XP on SATA,put BOOT from SATA in BIOS and connect IDE again.

Will it work or will there be a problem because now there are two XP's . one on IDE and second On SATA. can i recover my programs this way.
thanks again

From the OEM disk you can do a repair of your current install. Because the programs you want to run are on the other install of Windows they will not run if you install a second copy of Windows. All the registry edits that allow the programs to run are on the other install. Course you could load the registry hive and try to run the programs, but it would be a pain in the **** after while.

Buy a copy of Windows XP. Make sure you get the same flavor as you currently have. I mean if you have XP Home don't buy XP Pro and do a repair install. Even then you may not have access to your programs. I usually repartition and reinstall when I have major problems, so I don't have much experience with repair installs and how they work.

Hi there,

I tried couple of things .

1. I tried to do repair XP on my IDE. It goes to a screen and asks "Insert Disk name Recovery disk". I don't have that. My question is can i use a recovery disk made by someone else on there computer ?

2. I Installed XP on my SATA and than connected my IDE . IDE shows all the Folders and Programs .

I don't know if I should install fresh copies of Programs .

I"M JUST GUESSING AT THIS POINT, AND I HATE TO GUESS. I'm not yelling at you; I just want you to know we are traveling in unknown territory for me. In other words, I'm not sure about the following.

Recovery disks are branded. They come from HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Acer etc etc. You'd probably have to use the same brand, flavor and service pack of the recovery disk to make things work correctly. The programs on your IDE will only work if you do a repair install on your IDE otherwise you'll have to reinstall them on your SATA to get them to work.

If you use an OEM copy of Windows to do the repair on your IDE it should work. OEM disks usually accept any valid Windows serial number, and that is why I have repeatedly mentioned them. Have you tried to do the repair with an OEM copy of Windows? If you did, what did it say? If the repair process scanned your OEM disk and then asked you for the recovery disk you might be in a bit of trouble.

u should be able to move the folders from the programs on the firs Windows install into the same folder on the second install, but u will have to make sure it is in the same folder, and the program knows that is where it is suppose to be looking.

nickc said:
u should be able to move the folders from the programs on the firs Windows install into the same folder on the second install, but u will have to make sure it is in the same folder, and the program knows that is where it is suppose to be looking.
Thanks for the reply

So it means if i move folder named MS office from Program on IDE to Program on SATA it will work.

If it works can I format IDE after .

Thanks Again

for MS Office, those documents can be put in any folder and click on them and they should open by the correct program. Try it and check, all I do with my office Documents is put them in a folder on a second hard drive, and when I click on them the document opens in Word, Access, Excell or what ever. some other programs might need to be backup and then put back. I use QuickBooks and I have to restore it every time I reinstall the program. once the stuff is put where u will not loose it u can surely refomat the IDE hard drive.

I don't think that is what he is asking, he wants to know if he can just copy the program folder and make the program folder, the answer for that is NO. You wil have to install the program again in the SATA HD for the program to work. Once you have the program reinstalled, then you can open your office documents from anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back