TechSpot

Need help with playing DVDs--all software keeps giving me errors

By gtiggerc
Apr 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I just installed a DVD-ROM drive, and it installed without a problem under Windows XP Pro. I didn't even have to go through the whole "found new hardware" installation of drivers. It just was up and running.

My issue is this: no matter what software program I use, I cannot seem to play any DVDs. I keep getting a "The exception is Illegal Instruction" with exception always being 0xc000001d in different locations (e.g. 0x0041866c, 0x1c413a0c).

I have tried Real Player 10, Windows Media Player 10, Quicktime, and WindDVD 3.

I know the drive works because I can play audio CDs and other CD_ROM discs. I just can't play a DVD. I've tried different ones. A given player would regognize what the DVD is and show me a cover of a movie, but then not play it.

Someone please help me out with this.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.