need help with radeon 7500 vid card

By tpl2000
Feb 1, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basically when i try to reinstall the driver for it, it says "setup was unable to complete the installation. try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup." how do i follow it's instructions? i'm sort of a newb when it comes to drivers.

err and my email is tplavelle[a]gmail.com, because i might not be checking this thread very often, although i will try.

oh and it's specifically an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 video card. specifically.

and i suppose it might be helpful to state that i'm trying to update my drivers and such so that i can play WoW on my laptop, as opposed to using one of my family member's computers.

--will give computer specs upon request--
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Check the ATI website for current drivers. If using current driver, you might try going back to the next earlier version.
  3. tpl2000

tpl2000 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 29

if i try to install the newest driver and the like, it says i should try setting up a standard vga driver first. i'm not sure in the least how to do this. Also, i've found 2 files that have vga in them that i think might be helpful. (vga.dll and VGA.SYS.) right now the driver i'm using is ati2dvag.dll, if that helps at all.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

Is that for a DELL laptop?, Then you got to use DELL drivers which you still can get.
  5. tpl2000

it's a compaq evo n1000c, and my uncle gave it to me; he works in i.t. Or, in other words, i don't have any of the original disks whatsoever.
  6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

Get the driver from Compaq which is now HP... We have that model at work, but they are going to trash (well I can't get my hands on one) Surplus guy comes in a truck and picks them up...
  7. tpl2000

how do i do that? (it's a good computer, fairly reliable. too bad they're going to the trash. i'll take as many of them as possible ;) hide 'em if necessary hehe)
  8. tpl2000

(are bumps allowed on these forums? kind of off topic, but i do wonder.)
  9. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Yes, bumps are allowed, but only after at least 24 hours have elapsed without a reply. Not after only a few minutes. I.E You posted in this thread yesterday at 10:27 PM which was fine. You then posted again and again and again etc at these times. 11:14 PM/12:12 AM/12:28 AM/02:09 AM. This is not fine. That`s why I deleted your posts.

Regards Howard :rolleyes:
  10. tpl2000

ok, thanks. i'm used to bumping every few minutes on other forums or my thread will disappear, but then again that raises another question. in order to prevent this thread from disappearing before i get a result, how often should i post? or does it not disappear at all, but instead go to some sort of archive for the help of future/current members?
  11. tpl2000

bump - bump (someone please reply)

12. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Go to the HP Support Site. Type in you Compaq model number and see what you can find for a video driver update... BUMP!
  13. tpl2000

ok, ty. i'll try it and get back to you
  14. tpl2000

you are god. did you know that?
  15. tpl2000

WoW works perfectly fine now. thank you, if i were standing next to you i would give you a near-suffocating hug. (yay for free bumps)
  16. tpl2000

bump, i suppose.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.