Need help with ram.. two gigs of twinxp 3200c2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need some help.

(A little background)
October of 2005 I bought and made my computer. I used 2x512 Corsair XMS twinpxp 3200c2 (The black ram W/ the LED's)
Back then it was set at timings 2.5-3-3-8, and DDR400 pc3200 etc, all that jazz.

Two days ago I bought another 2x512 Corsair XMS etc, the same thing, only now it's 3.0-3-3-8. I knew some motherboards change timings on their own so I tried just putting it in. That didn't work.
I then went to try changing the timings on the new ram to 2.5-3-3-8. I changed those, and then put in all four and it, again, didn't work.
I updated BIOS, because I read something about disabling "SPD" or "Auto DRAM Configuration", and I could not find that in my BIOS.
After updating, and disabling SPD, I again tried loading with all four. No luck.
I then tried loading it with just my old two sticks, and ended up getting the BSOD, saying something about sptd.sys, a Daemon Tools related error..
I took some steps to try and fix that, but I can't even load in safe mode, so I couldn't do anything about that. So I went and re-enabled SPD, set all things to default, and... again, BSOD. So now I can't even use my computer with the original 1GB.

It could be something with the other two slots on my motherboard, but another thing is I tried loading with one old 512 and one new 512 in the current slots i'm using and that also didn't work.

Here are my computer specs:

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR mobo
(4 DIMMs, ddr 400 pc3200, Socket 939)
Corsair XMS TwinXP 3200C2 (2x512) (Black w/ LED)
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
nVidia 7800 GTX
WD 160GB
WD 74GB Raptor
Creative X-fi XtremeMusic

Please help! Thanks!

please read the installing ram guide in the guides forum. It will answer your question.

The guide is good but unfortunately didn't answer my question.. and trust me i've rt about 8 fm.. lol.

I have a few other things i'm going to try but if you or anyone has any other suggestions i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

the guide says don't mix memory. You have mixed memory. There's your issue.
Different timings is mixed memory. Also some motherboards don't play well with more than 2 sticks.

I'm pretty sure it's a revision of what I bought a while ago, because it's physically the same RAM, just .5 higher CAS latency. I literally went to my order history and clicked the link. As for why they revised it, maybe my older ram is messed up. I'm quite aware you have a good chance of being right since I tried another kind (Also Corsair, ddr400 pc3200) of ram with the same timings/voltage, minus the LED's and it did not work. Although then I read up on my ram and figured out it's really not compatible with anything but itself. So I bought itself. The fact that that also did not work is why i'm here. I know it's possible to mix ram although it's not advised, so I hope I can figure this out. Thanks.

**edit: I also read about my motherboard not working with four sticks, so it could be that.

P.S, Tedster, just curious, what's your MOS?

Tell him to put sand goggles on. And the skeeters are getting thick right now in baghdad. (Springtime)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back