Need help with RAM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using a laptop that has a RAM of 256MB. It says this on the bottom of my laptop and also when I have analysis online of my system. However when I try to install some things it says that the RAM is not high enough as it is not at 256. On my computer properties it is saying that the RAM is 223MB. I'm not sure why this has happened or how to fix it.
I have tried deleting unused programmes from the laptop but this has failed to do anything.

If anyone has any answers or explainations please let me know, thanks.

Edit: removed bold text to make post easier to read.

33MB of the 256MB total is being used by the graphics controller... This is called shared memory. You are going to need additional memory for your laptop, say by increasing to 512MB by adding another 256MB module or replacing what you have with a single 512MB module. Laptop memory is not cheap. Keep in mind your total memory will be decreased by sharing with the video/graphics controller

Could you post your laptop's model number? Perhaps searching for the model number will return the type of RAM it uses, so you can buy some.

RAM is usually not model-specific, there's maybe 2 different types used universally.

you have integrated graphics that is borrowing your system memory.
please read the installing ram guide in the guides forum.

"you have integrated graphics that is borrowing your system memory"

Didn't I already say this Tedster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back