TechSpot

Need help with SATA drive

By thejudge81
Jul 5, 2005
  1. Hi Have been helping a friend build up a system. On boot up I'm waiting for it to find the drive and then say invalid system disk. But it gets to a point and sits there. It does show details of the drive on boot and you can hear it spin up. Is there any setting I should be looking at in the cmos? I can't see anything SATA related.

thanks

Mike

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You have to install an operating system first :)

If you are trying to do that then you have to set the boot device order in BIOS setup so that CD-ROM comes before hard drives.

3. thejudge81

thejudge81 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't explain that very well. I have tried booting from the cd and it says setup could not find any hard drives connected to the computer.
    Is this because at the start of setup I have to press F6 and install sata driver that came with mother board?

Sorry for all the trouble I have only installed ide drives in the past. SATA is new to me.

thanks
    mike.

4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

Yep, you're on the right track...Those drivers enable Windows to see the drive and it will then continue with the installation.

patio. :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.