Need help with select OS to Start

By zbmagic
Jul 28, 2006
  1. Just did my first format and reinstall of windows. I did it with the guidance from this site. Needed to get rid of XP Pro because of WGA problems. But now, on boot up ,the computer asks me to select the operating system to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

How do I get rid of the professional as an option? I tried selecting it out of fun, and it doesn't work.

2. antjscott

antjscott TS Rookie Posts: 42

windows comes up asking you to select which version of windows to boot from if you have multiple versions of windows on your computer. so it would seem that when you reformatted your pc it did not delete windows xp pro fully from your hard drive. which leaves you one of two possible choices. you can either go through your hard drive manually to find the windows xp pro files and erase them, making sure you leave the windows xp home, alone. perhaps you have it partitioned so they are kept separately? and your 2nd choice would be to do another reformat of your pc..
  3. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

What you've done is to install Windows again without deleting/formatting XP pro.

You either need to save your files and data and start again, wiping everything, or you need to delete the XP pro files and folers (if you want the space and to remove the clutter), and remove the XP Pro entry from boot.ini.

Simply removing the XP Pro entry from boot.ini will remove your OS choice on startup. Remember to change the default if you need to.
  4. zbmagic

zbmagic TS Rookie Topic Starter

Reformatted this time doing the normal, not the quick option. That took care of the problem. Thanks for all the info.

5. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

do this:
    get a 98 floppy boot disk from
    start your pc with boot disk in the machine
    after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
    display partition(s) (if any)
    delete partition(s)
    create new partition
    format the hard disk
    turn pc off
    take win98 boot disk out
    put xp home cd in the cd rom drive
    turn pc on
    get into bios
    go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
    save bios, exit.
    let xp install.
    alternately you can start with 98 boot disk with cd-rom support, then navigate to i386 folder in the cd rom, and start the install process by winnt.exe or winnt32.exe command. the former is for dos, and the latter is for windows.
  6. tweaks_sav

tweaks_sav TS Rookie Posts: 186

Woah woah. There is a very easy solution to this.
    Just remove the entry in your boot.ini file. This happens often with wipe/reloads.
    Right click on My computer -> Properties
    Goto the Advanced tab, then click Settings under Startup and Recovery
    Click the Edit button, then just remove that whole line with XP Pro.
    File -> Save
    Then exit notepad, teh click Ok on the previous dialogs, and viola DONE!
  7. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Posts: 441

but you haven't deleted the xp-pro from your system, if you do that. you merely are fooling yourself to pretend that it's gone, because it's not showing up. he needs to get rid of it, completely, not magic tricks, please.
  8. tweaks_sav

In his original post he said he formatted and reinstalled. If he did the quick format option that it is common for the old REFERENCE to still be there. That's why when he said he selected the normal format it "fixed" it.
    He said that if he selects it, it doesn't work, that means, the partition is not there, only the reference.
  9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

No, you didn't. :) You need to go back, delete the partition, format as NTFS and reinstall Windows XP. The Windows XP setup does not give you an option to format an existing partition. You need to delete the partition and recreate it.

10. Rick

No, this isn't true. A quick format is every bit as good as an unconditional Windows format in this sense.

C:\Boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect are the files responsible for listing operating system during boot time. Boot.ini is a text file which contains the entries for the boot loader. (Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home etc...). If he didn't format, XP would have kept his Boot.ini setup.

If he did format, XP rewrites the MBR during setup and creates a new Boot.ini. The MBR points to the NT boot loader (ntldr) which references boot.ini for a list of operating systems and loads the appropriate OS. The XP install does not search for other existing installations of Windows... It only looks for the entries in boot.ini. So if this file is gone, there's no way to have multiple OSes listed which means he did not format. :slurp:
  11. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Second to that, the difference between a full format and a quick format is that the quick format doesn't check the disk for physical errors (bad sectors), whereas the full format does.

You should ALWAYS use a full format unless you know for a fact that the condition of the disk is good. Otherwise, you could be asking for trouble in the long run.
  12. Rick

That's a good tip.
  13. tweaks_sav

I do reformats alot at work. We normally do the Quick Format option. Every now and then we get the same problem the original poster had. There is only one partition when we look and so we just remove that one line in the boot.ini file.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.