Need help with sound recording

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed there was a thread with someone trying to convert their audiocassettes to CDs. I'm trying to do the same thing. I have a cable running to my line-in and I can hear the tapes fine on my computer speakers. I can record fine, but when I play back the recorded file, it's distorted sounding. Muffled, scratchy.

I've downloaded and tried 5 different recorders. Finally one informed me that my "soundcard does not support playback recording." What does this mean? I have a Realtek sound card that came installed on my Gateway. It's a pretty new computer, so I assumed the sound card was good.

Does this mean I have no choice but to get a new soundcard? And how do I know a good one to get that will play back my recordings correctly?

thanks for and advice you can give me! :)

your problem is caused by the low-quality soundcard in your gateway. i do a fair bit of converting analog media (records, tapes) to digital myself. i have an m-audio audiophile2496 and use sonic foundry's vegas audio 4 and sound forge 5, but my card is a few years old and i don't know if it's still in production. as i understand it, the soundblaster audigy series are fine cards, i'd look into a few of those. may i ask what software you have?

Thanks zephead!

I guess I'll have to invest in a nice soundcard. I bought a video converter to convert vhs to dvd also. Haven't tried it yet, but I imagine I will have the same problem with sound quality. :(

Actually I downloaded the trials for several recorders:
Advanced MP3 WMA recorder
ARWizard 3
Allsound recorder xp
i-sound WMA mp3 recorder
3d mp3 sound recorder 3.8.7
AIPL Singulator

They all seem to work ok recording, except for my problem with playback. The one that seemed a little more advanced that spotted my problem and refused to even record, was the 3d mp3 recorder.

Thanks for your suggestion. Glad to know you have some experience with converting. I may need your help again, once I get going.

becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back