Need help with sound recording

By becky
Aug 3, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I noticed there was a thread with someone trying to convert their audiocassettes to CDs. I'm trying to do the same thing. I have a cable running to my line-in and I can hear the tapes fine on my computer speakers. I can record fine, but when I play back the recorded file, it's distorted sounding. Muffled, scratchy.

I've downloaded and tried 5 different recorders. Finally one informed me that my "soundcard does not support playback recording." What does this mean? I have a Realtek sound card that came installed on my Gateway. It's a pretty new computer, so I assumed the sound card was good.

Does this mean I have no choice but to get a new soundcard? And how do I know a good one to get that will play back my recordings correctly?

thanks for and advice you can give me! :)
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

your problem is caused by the low-quality soundcard in your gateway. i do a fair bit of converting analog media (records, tapes) to digital myself. i have an m-audio audiophile2496 and use sonic foundry's vegas audio 4 and sound forge 5, but my card is a few years old and i don't know if it's still in production. as i understand it, the soundblaster audigy series are fine cards, i'd look into a few of those. may i ask what software you have?
  3. becky

becky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks zephead!

I guess I'll have to invest in a nice soundcard. I bought a video converter to convert vhs to dvd also. Haven't tried it yet, but I imagine I will have the same problem with sound quality. :(

Actually I downloaded the trials for several recorders:
    Advanced MP3 WMA recorder
    ARWizard 3
    Allsound recorder xp
    i-sound WMA mp3 recorder
    3d mp3 sound recorder 3.8.7
    AIPL Singulator

They all seem to work ok recording, except for my problem with playback. The one that seemed a little more advanced that spotted my problem and refused to even record, was the 3d mp3 recorder.

Thanks for your suggestion. Glad to know you have some experience with converting. I may need your help again, once I get going.

becky
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.