Need help with XP Problem--minidumps attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am having a problem with my Windows XP SP2 system and this looked like a great forum to get some tech help.

This system has been flakey for a long time and I've been systematically going through and changing things trying to fix it.

The symptoms are weird. Yes, I get a ton of BSODs, but what usually happens first is that the machine runs out of system memory. Graphical icons stop showing up, programs won't execute, even the symbols on the start menu and in the control panel fail to appear. Sometimes this happens immediately after boot. Sometimes only after using the computer for a while. Several install programs won't even work. They usually fail silently as all of my system resources are gone. Install programs seem to use up the resources faster than anything, though games are a close second.

All of my crash analyses kept saying there was a driver problem in my video card, so I replaced the card (Geforce 6800 to NVidia x550). That didn't do anything. I've moved and swapped memory from other machines that work--no dice. Tried to disable all but the most necessary drivers, nothing. Tried to reinstall XP over the top, no good.

I'm thinking that Windows HAS to be corrupted. So my next step is going to be to flatten the machine, which will be a huge pain because of all the stuff I have set up on it. But it is currently unusuable.

Given that the machine BSOD's every few hours at minimum, several times an hour at max, I have tons of minidumps. I'm going to attach a few here to see if they give anyone an idea of what is happening. The BSODs are usually Bad Pool Header or Thread Stuck in Driver , or Page Fault errors, but I suspect they are all related to the system being completely out of resources for whatever reason.

Any suggestion is welcome. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty messing with either the hardware or software, so fire away. This is the first time I've been completely stumped with a computer. I've had one in my home for over 20 years and never had one this broken.

BTW, yes I know I have 2 sound cards in the system. I have tried disabling/removing each and leaving the other, but it didn't help the problem. I actually have 2 cards in most of my machines becuase I use one for gaming compatibility while the other is a higher-end pro audio card.

Thanks!

Format and reinstall XP fresh. Here are some key phrases in your post... Your motherboard might be dieing...
"This system has been flakey for a long time"

"I get a ton of BSODs"

"Tried to disable all but the most necessary drivers, nothing"

"the machine BSOD's every few hours at minimum, several times an hour at max"

"Tried to disable all but the most necessary drivers, nothing"

Thanks, that is what I've been leaning towards.

Is there any way I could determine if the motherboard is bad? I hate to waste the time to rebuild the system if it isn't likely to help.

BTW, this machine is not very old. I got it in January of 2005 and it started exhibiting problems in mid 2005. It has been getting steadily worse over time to the point where it is now unusuable.

Just do the install from the XP CD if you can. Delete the existing partition and let XP do the install. After the install completes, run Microsoft Update to get all the criticals. Go online for a day or two. If the system is stable after all this, your motherboard might be fine. You will have problems way before this, if there is any hardware problem

Three device drivers at the windows are unstable

1. Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iastor.sys and the timestamp is 422F3BCC)
http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=zh-TW&q=40E1B22A&btnG=Google+搜尋&meta=

2. Your version of nVidia Display Card Driver is unstable. Upgrade it to latest veriosn.

3. One minidump is crashed by ino_fltr.sys (CA AV). Upgrade ino_fltr.sys

According to your problem description, your windows is crashed with different bugcheck codes. However you did not attach the latest minidumps and only one minidump was taken at this year. All the rest were taken at Dec 2006. Can you attach the latest dump here.

Your debug report
Mini012407-10.dmp BugCheck A, {774e63b3, 2, 0, 8052762d}
Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt!ExpBoostOwnerThread+2e )

Mini120206-21.dmp BugCheck A, {0, 2, 0, 805451b0}
Probably caused by : nv4_mini.sys ( nv4_mini+57651 )

Mini120206-22.dmp BugCheck A, {4f444e49, 2, 0, 805451b0}
Probably caused by : nv4_mini.sys ( nv4_mini+57651 )

Mini120206-23.dmp BugCheck A, {4, 2, 0, 804e97af}
Probably caused by : ino_fltr.sys ( ino_fltr+cacd )

Flattened the box

Yeah, all of the minidumps were from last year because that is the last time I had it on. I moved in late December and didn't bother to even try to turn the machine on again until yesterday. That's why I attached the minidumps from the last time I had been consistently using the machine.

The Nvidia drivers I was using WERE the latest. And every time I crashed it did seem to be in something different, it was just that the video driver seemed to be the culprit more often than not.

I decided to just flatten the box. Something was REALLY wrong that was causing system resources to just vanish out of thin air, even right after boot up. I'm sure this is what was causing all the BSOD's. When the machine ran out of resources, whichever driver was the first to not handle the low memory situation blew up.

So far, so good. I've only reinstalled a fraction of the software I had before, but games that I never even got to run before like Civ 4 are running fine, and programs that refused to even install like Roxio 8 are up and running. And I haven't had a BSOD yet. So I think I'm good, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next few days. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post more if I start seeing weird problems again, but it looks like my Windows was just mucked up by something and needed to be cleaned up. I DO think the problems first started around the time I had a botched install of something, but I can't remember what it was now. It might have been DirectX 9.

Thanks again!

Also problem here

I also have problems with Windows XP SP2. I went through Memtest, checkdisk without problems, just some bad indexes on disk. I made BIOS update but problems are still here.
There are some minidumps files in attachment, please could anyone go through these files? I would like to know where is the problem.
Or is there any way how can I simply read the files on my own?

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Mini011607-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 8
  • Mini011707-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 5
jarno said:
I also have problems with Windows XP SP2. I went through Memtest, checkdisk without problems, just some bad indexes on disk. I made BIOS update but problems are still here.
There are some minidumps files in attachment, please could anyone go through these files? I would like to know where is the problem.
Or is there any way how can I simply read the files on my own?

Thank you so much.

I read your minidumps... Start a new post in the Security and the WEB Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back