TechSpot

Need Help

By M1I9K8E9
Jun 29, 2007
  1. Hi, ive been looking into buying a laptop for a while now and i am kind of liking the alienware area-51 m5550.
    This is what i am planning to put into it
    128MB ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
    Alienware® Intel® 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    80GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
    24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW Burner
    I do video editing and occasionally play games, superior gaming quality is not a big concern for me. I want to know if this setup will handle my needs. I know some of you will tell me to do research and figure it out on my own and i have but there is a lot of different opinions out there and technology terms that i dont understand, so that is why am asking you
    It will cost $1199 but with shipping and taxes it is $1329 , is there something better out there for around the same price range?
    This is the website if you want to check it out for yourself
    http://www.alienware.com/configurat...code=PC-LT-AREA51M5550-R3&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

2. M1I9K8E9

M1I9K8E9 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok i havent got any answers yet but i have an update i have decided not to go with Vista, instead im going to go with media center . What i have read on this site and others is that vista still needs a few bugs worked out and that it can hinder your computers performance, also it wont work with vegas movie studio 7 and im not willing to junk a $150 software package and upgrade to vegas 8 just so i can run vista. I really wish someone would reply with some advice because i plan on getting it in a week or two and dont want to make a mistake and spend $1300 on something that i cant use

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.