TechSpot

Need ideas for new speakers

By SharkFiNbowL
Apr 12, 2003
  1. Hello! I'm planning to buy a new speaker because the one I am using now is like 6 years old. It's pretty crappy, anyways, I need some ideas on which ones are good and which ones are bad.

I cannot buy those 4 or 8 pieces ones because it's just too expensive. Try to limit to around $100 Canadian dollar or less, but with great quality. It's ok if you suggest a subwoofer with 2 tiny speakers, that's ok. Send a pic, spec, and model # for the speaker plz. Thx!

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Oh man, you would love yourself if you made some sacrifies, spent a little more, and got yourself an cheap but good brand name amplifier from a home hi-fi store and at least 2 OK speakers. PC hi-fi is naff I think.

3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Altec Lansing make some really good PC speakers... Heres what I'd get if I were you:

http://www.altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=221&sID=2

You can get this on Newegg for $38 (US). I dont know what that is canidian but Im sure its under $100 :grinthumb Pick your goods up here , Page 4, called "Altec 221 2.1 Amplified Speaker 3 Piece System". Nice n' cheep too.

Hope that helps :blush:

4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

Ya I recommend the same.. go with Altec Lansing.. if you have an OfficeMax near you they have a set of speakers for abotu $37 I believe which is what I have now and they are really good. Comes with subwoofer and 2 speakers :).

5. SharkFiNbowL

SharkFiNbowL TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

Ya! That one you said agissi was the one I looked in my local store, and I kind of liked it. Dunno... u think it's good right? I'm not a true person that needs super great sound, but a normal but great speaker :) .. Are flat speakers good? It looks cool i think!

6. SharkFiNbowL

SharkFiNbowL TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

7. ---agissi---

I'd get the Altec's :D

8. wicka_wicka

wicka_wicka Banned Posts: 179

"More powah," says Arnold.
    That means get the Altecs.

9. dumbo

dumbo TS Rookie

altec brand is real good. i have one 4.1 set up and i strongly recommend them.

10. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I would also recommend the Creative Inspire sets of speakers. They make the great 6:1 6700 Inspires and the Inspire 4400 4:1s which probably fall within your budget.

11. ---agissi---

Man, I have a 2.1 Set...they pump some serious sound. On my other PC I have some cool looking, flat, black speakers...sure they look cool, but they dont compare to my Altecs quailty wise :D

12. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

I have the Altec Lansing 5100's, no problems apart from full and crisp sound of 5.1... AHH. I would definitely go with Altec Lansing, I have experienced and heard nothing but good things; you will like them. Make the right choice, Good Luck :grinthumb !

13. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

SharkFiNbowL, don't rush things...take your time, what i reckon is you take a trip to your local store and audition them with your favourite cds. Please keep in mind that power is not always quality!

14. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

Yes I definately recommend listening to them if at all possible first. Contrary to most people in this thread I think you'd be happy with those Yahamas, they should be very clear and crisp, and that sub goes lower than those altecs.

btw: any chance we could convince you to resize that sig?

15. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Yummy..........the sharkfin soup makes me hungry, used to be my favourite delicacy, but quit ages ago for the good of the species.

16. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

As some others have said, don't be fooled by power ratings, they can be decieving. A high power ratiing with sorry drivers in the box might not sound as good as lower power and quality drivers. Just go to the store and listen and pick out the ones that sound the best to you at the volume that you listen at.

17. ---agissi---

Yeah man, its so big...:eek: For one thats too much shark to eat (lord only knows how deep that bowl is) and second by the time u post something it takes up all my screen (1124x864) = :dead:

18. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

Yeah, I'll go along with that to. It's way to big.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.