Need large monitor suggestions (30")

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

Need large monitor suggestions

I often have groups of people in my office, and need a screen for my computer that is large enough for about 10 people at a small conference table to be able to see.

I would also like to use it for some games every once and a while (the kid in me still lives) so I assume I need plasma?

Any advice, suggestions appreciated.

Right now I am looking at the LG L2300C monitor. It's price is incredible! I am just worried that 23" won't cut it.

I just need it to be big enough for a group of 10 ppl to see power point presentations etc. Thoughts?

Main Specifications
Product Description LG L2300C - flat panel display - TFT - 23"
Device Type Flat panel display / TFT active matrix
Dimensions (WxDxH) 23.1 in x 10.2 in x 17.6 in
Weight 25.6 lbs
Diagonal Size 23"
Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.392 mm
Max Resolution 1280 x 768
Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
Response Time 16 ms
Image Brightness 500 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 600:1
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Interface DVI, VGA (HD-15)
Compliant Standards FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, C-Tick, GOST, cUL, EPA Energy Star, ISO 13406-2, SEMKO, VCCI-II
Power AC 120/230 V
Power Consumption Operational 60 Watt
General
Display Type Flat panel display / TFT active matrix
Width 23.1 in
Depth 10.2 in
Height 17.6 in
Weight 25.6 lbs
Compatibility PC
Display
Diagonal Size 23"
Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.392 mm
Max Resolution 1280 x 768
Color Support 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
Max Sync Rate (V x H) 75 Hz x 66 kHz
Response Time 16 ms
Interface DVI, VGA (HD-15)
Features LightView
Image Brightness 500 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 600:1
Image Max H-View Angle 176
Image Max V-View Angle 176
Video Input
Analog Video Signal RGB
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Expansion / Connectivity
Interfaces 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI
Miscellaneous
Flat Panel Mount Interface 100 x 100 mm
Compliant Standards FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, C-Tick, GOST, cUL, EPA Energy Star, ISO 13406-2, SEMKO, VCCI-II
Power
Form Factor Internal
Voltage Required AC 120/230 V
Power Consumption Operational 60 Watt
Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep 5 Watt

Yes the price is probably cheap because it is has a low resolution. That may not matter though as for its purpose, but you may want to opt for something a little bigger.

I like that dell monitor a lot. I may go for that 24" they have at a great price. I have an Asus 7800GT with dual DVI-I ports. Is that dual link? Not familiar with that term (I am in new waters with this stuff, in case you haven't noticed lol).

The issue is that the majority of dvi ports are not dual link, which is required for the very high resolution of 30" lcds.

Explained with plain words, the single-link DVI connection can carry enough information to build a 1920x1080 pixels image at 60hz. Dual-link DVI doubles the bandwidth and therefore allows a 2560x1600 image to be send from the computer at a frequency of 60hz (or 60 images per seconds).
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archive...n_dell_2001fp_action_8_megapixel_desktop.html

I can't find any info out about the asus 7800gt though to know if it has dual link dvi. Odd though, you'd think a reputable company like asus would put this feature on it's top of the line cards, but it may not be the case.

Also, a 24" may have issues, according to that article. The dell 24" widescreen has a res of 1920x1200 (which is higher than the max of 1920x1080 for single link dvi) so it likely wouldn't work at native res. unless you have a dual link dvi.

It seems that the highest "normal" res. that a single link dvi port can use is a 1680x1050(a widescreen 20" lcd, like the viewsonic VX2025WM).

Not sure if there's any way to test if your card has dual link or not without buying a high end monitor and testing it. There might be some program to test, who knows.

The 2004FPW works on a single-link DVI, havingset up one at work, I'm sure of that. ;)

another suggestion if you want is to get a proxima with a pull down screen, my school uses it for Powerpoint alot and it works geat

just a suggestion,

Didou said:
The 2004FPW works on a single-link DVI, havingset up one at work, I'm sure of that. ;)
It will work fine at its native resolution of 1920x1200.

Found some more info out.

Example display modes (single link):
HDTV (1920 × 1080) @ 60 Hz with 5% LCD blanking (131 MHz)
UXGA (1600 × 1200) @ 60 Hz with GTF blanking (161 MHz)
WUXGA (1920 x 1200) @ 60 Hz (154 MHz)
SXGA (1280 × 1024) @ 85 Hz with GTF blanking (159 MHz)

Example display modes (dual link):
QXGA (2048 × 1536) @ 75 Hz with GTF blanking (2×170 MHz)
HDTV (1920 × 1080) @ 85 Hz with GTF blanking (2×126 MHz)
WQXGA (2560 × 1600) pixels (30" LCD)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-link_DVI

So it seems "wuxga," 1920x1200, used on 24" lcds should still work on any dvi connection.

Here's the dell 2405fpw, dells 24" widescreen lcd with 1920x1200 res.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...y_id=6198&cs=19&l=en&Page=productlisting.aspx

Wow, this is great info guys. Thanks so much!

I will probably end up getting that 2405fpw. Looking like a good deal to me at this point!

DonNagual said:
I can't seem to find ANY information on the Asus EN7800GT and whether or not it has dual link capabilities.... which leads me to believe it does not.

I'll have a look at the connector itself when I get home and compare it to these diagrams: http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/29/the_tft_connection/page8.html

Well, according to that link above and the diagrams it has, the Asus EN7800GT does have dual link (in case someone with the same card stumble across this thread).

Yes, your card has a "dual link" connector physically, but does the connector support using a dual link interface? Fact is, I've never seen a graphic card that has a dvi port that doesn't physically have a "dual link" dvi port, but many times the port only operates as a single link(it depends if the core supports dual link and if dual link is implemented in the card design). In other words, looking at the port doesn't determine anything.

I found some info that might help you find out if you have dual link.
http://www.sharkyforums.com/showpost.php?p=2261471&postcount=143
It involves running a linux live cd and checking the xorg log.
It appears that if your "maximum pixel clock" is over 165mhz, and reports and internal dual link TMDS, then you have dual link. Keep in mind even if you have dual link it could only be one port on the card.

I need to decide between this:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...uctlisting.aspx

or this: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

The 24" monitor is:
Max Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
Response time: 12 milliseconds (b/w, typical)
Image Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (typical)
Brightness: 500 cd/m²(typical)

This 26" TV is:
Native resolution: 1366 x 768 (WXGA)
Response time: 16 milliseconds (b/w, typical)
Contrast: 1000:1 (typical)
Brightness: 500 cd/m²(typical)

It is for my office. I will be using my 17" widescreen laptop at the office, and need a monitor to show presentations, videos, etc.

My experience with TVs in the past is that it just isn't worth hooking up a PC to them, as the picture just isn't good enough. However, as I will only be using it for presentations, I am thinking that in this case, the TV above may be the better choice.

Anyone have any comments? For about 10-15 people viewing in a small office space, do I get the bigger screen, or the smaller one with the better resolution?

Your links don't work.

My guess is that your comparing these.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...y_id=6198&cs=19&l=en&Page=productlisting.aspx
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/3X_lcd26?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Since the tv is hd ready, it's picture shouldn't look too bad, at least compared to the older standard def. tvs. The tv would also have speakers, which could be nice in presentations if you use sound. The lcd is very nice too though.

Remember to check for dell coupon codes before you buy.

Yep. Those are the two I'm comparing. Sorry about the broken links.

I am thinking the same thing. They are both (about) the same price.

Alright. I'm going for the 26" LCD TV then. Thanks again for all your advice in this thread. Been VERY helpful (as you always are).

Hey vnf4ultra,

I did end up getting the Dell 26" LCD TV, and for the price I'd have to say it was a good choice. Excellent picture quality.

My only complaint is the 1,366 x 768 limitation, but like I said, for the price it is great.

My needs were to have a display for a room of maximum 10 people, and for powerpoint presentations it does the job just fine. My presentations do however use large fonts. On the rare occasions that I have used smaller fonts, I do notice that they do not display well on the monitor.

Dont be sorry

Those monitors really arnt that good, im not saying you shouldnt buy one but i dont want you to be sorry that you didnt get a better one, personally in my small little room i have a Samsung 32" LCD 4000 to 1 display for my HP and a 19" for my alienware ALX :) but then again we might have differnt bugets

Sounds great Don, it's not like your sitting in front of that all day. Perfect buy in my book. :grinthumb :grinthumb

Update.

I thought Dell was supposed to have a good reputation for monitors.

Monitor died on me today a few weeks after I got it. Dell has none in stock so I will be out a monitor in my office for a few weeks.

Thanks Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back