Need new PCI-E card and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmotz

HELP! I really want to upgrade my SR5413WM Presario graphics, but I know I will need a better power supply as well! Has anyone had success in this endeavor?? If so, what were your solutions? What PSU did you choose? Brand? What PCI-E card? Preferable Nvidia not ATI! Thanks!

well, i shall help you out i think.
PSU
and video card beware, its big! measure dimensions. -- free CoD!!

what mother board do you have, i dont think these wont fit, but just to make sure

no way this wont cover it.

I will check out exactly what mobo I have in my computer and post again. I am thinking I can get by with as little as a 350W psu. Thanks for responding!

I will check out exactly what mobo I have in my computer and post again. I am thinking I can get by with as little as a 350W psu. Thanks for responding!

Alright. i took a look at your computer ( SR5413WM ) and both of these will fit assuming that you dont already have a PCE-E in...

heres the new PSU -- 350W 80% efficiency, $50. i say its nice.

Okay here are the motherboard specs...

Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: Asus M2N68-LA
HP/Compaq name: Ivy8-GL6

CPU/Processor Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology
Athlon 64
Sempron

Front-side bus (FSB) 2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)

Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

BIOS features System BIOS core brand: Award
Keyboard combination to used to enter BIOS: F10

Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Dual channel memory architecture
Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 4 GB*
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots Two PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics (for graphics card)
One PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)

Video graphics Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
Up to 256MB of system memory (with 512MB or more system memory)
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

NOTE: Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Parallel ATA One 40-pin UltraDMA 100/66/33 connector
Supports PIO, multi-word DMA modes
Supports two PATA disk drives on one PATA ribbon cable (two drives total)

Serial ATA Two SATA connectors:
SATA1 = Black
SATA2 = White

Supports 1 SATA 150 or SATA 300 disk drive on each SATA connector
Speed up to 1.5Gb/sec or 3.0Gb/sec, complying with SATA 1.0 and SATA 2.0 specifications

NOTE: The faster rate of 3.0Gb/sec requires that both the hard drive and the motherboard support it. If one or the other does not support 3.0 Gb/sec, the system negotiates down to the slower 1.5 Gb/sec.

RAID Not currently supported by HP PCs using this motherboard.
Onboard audio 6 channel high-definition audio
Audio CODEC: ALC888
Onboard LAN 10/100Mbps LAN PHY
PCI Realtek RTL8201N

Onboard USB USB 2.0
Eight ports total
four connectors on back panel
additional headers on motherboard support 4 additional ports/devices

NOTE: Some USB ports may not be available externally for customer use. For more information, see model specifications.

Back panel I/0 One PS/2 mouse port (green)
One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
One VGA port
Two USB 2.0
One RJ-45 networking port
Three Stereo-mini audio jacks for:
Line-in (light blue)
Line-out (lime)
Microphone-in (pink)

Internal connectors One 24-pin ATX power connector
One 4-pin ATX power connector
One PATA connector
Two SATA connectors
One floppy drive connector
Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
One line input connector (interupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
Two USB headers supporting 4 additional USB 2.0 ports or devices
One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (Not used by HP)
One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
One jumper to disable BIOS password checking

NOTE: Motherboard specifications are subject to change without notice.

Motherboard layout and photos
Figure 1: layout

Figure 2: Photograph

The first PSU Phoenix recommended was a bit overkill for a system with a Sempron 1640 and a proposed 9800GT. The second recommendation would be a great choice.

If you say you do not have a budget, then anyone could recommend a GTX 295 and 1200watt PSU, which could cost nearly $600. You really have to give a budget to give and accurate recommendation. A GTX 295 would be ridiculous to pair with a Sempron CPU, although I wouldn't complain.

For a total budget of under $200, I would go with a 9800GT and the PSU Phoenix recommended the second time. Just about any PSU rated at 350watt or higher with at least one 6pin PCI-E connector would be suitable for your system. All that matters after that is your feelings towards loud PSU's and cash you're willing to spend.

Ok cool, can you give me a recommendation for a quieter PSU? My Compaq is pretty quiet right now, and I like that. A model number would be helpful so I know I have one that will fit in my machine. I haven't really gotten inside my case yet to check things out either. Thanks!

The PSU that Phoenix recommended the second time (This one) would be fine. And the 9800GT (here) would be great in terms of price and performance to pair with your CPU for under $200. I have the little brother, the 9600GT, and I love it with my Core 2 Duo E4300.

The PSU is 400Watts, has a 6pin PCI-E connector, and it's 120mm fan should be pretty quiet. It is in the ATX form factor, which is the standard for, I would say, 90% of all desktop computers. I have a micro ATX case with an ATX power supply in it. The Main 12V power connector is a 20+4, so it is compatible with motherboards that have either 20 or 24pin headers. Your motherboard has a 24 pin, header just so you know.

The above parts shouldn't give you any problems, and if you order from Newegg and you do have problems, you can always exchange them.

Alrighty then, that is awesome! Thanks for your help! I will look into these components. I know I am going to need to upgrade before Star Trek Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic come out....;)

Hey it's me again! I am planning on upgrading my processor to an Athlon 64 x2 4800+. Also, I have found a 4 GB memory upgrade kit and I am gonna upgrade to Vista 64-bit. NOW....tell me what nvidia card would be the best for my system... ;o) Thanks!

Hey again!

I would still recommend the 9800GT, the CPU upgrade will only help the performance out. If you have more cash to spend, and want a lot more power, you could get an ATI HD4870 or an Nvidia GTX260. They run around $200, where as a 9800GT is down to around $100.

The HD4870 only requires a single 6pin PCI-Express plug like the 9800GT, but the GTX260 needs two 6pin plugs. Your choice I guess. That will all go fantastically with 4 gigs of ram. If you get all that, you will officially have a better computer than me.

For the Power Supply, you need to affirm the power socket will not be covered by case housing... as that is the most common problem between Compaqs and after market PSU's. Then be sure they are the right dimensions... and if they have fans, which way do the fans blow onto what...
Many Compaqs are the opposite of others where the cables come out of the case as well... Some Compaq cases will cover the power switch as well. So you have to see a photo of the cable socket, PSU fan, and find a statement of L x W x H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back